Jebao / Jecod Dct 4000 Controllable Water Pump

RWH

Hi Folks!

I'm thinking about upgrading to a DC return pump? These Jebao units seem to get a pretty good rating.
Does anyone currently run one of these?
Thoughts and/or comments?

....Rick

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
What are you running right now for a return? What size system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have run a Jebao DC12000 since the new year and love it I also run 2 Jebao WR-8's with no complaints. Especially for the price.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RWH

I am running a mag 9.5 on a 75 galllon tank with a 45 gallon sump. However, I cannot run the current pump full open as its to much flow for the tank's return to keep up with and I'm sure its not good for the pump to run it with the valve 3/4 open?
If I run it full open it will drain the return portion of my sump. Rather than build in a "xmas" tree with a second valve and drain line into the sump return so that the additional flow just goes in there, I thought the DC pump would be a better option?
I can at least throttle the pump back without restricting the flow by closing valves back?

Not sure if I am making sense here?

Using 1" flex pipe for my lines..

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It is perfectly fine to run a return pump at 3/4 valve open as long as it is the output that is being throttled and not the input.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
With a DC you would be cutting electrical useage down as well. A Jebao DC4000 only runs on 50w max speed but that would be too much flow. The DC3000 will have more then enough flow for you and only runs at 24w as apposed to the Mag 9.5 that runs at 98w. Mag 9.5 does about 950 GPH and the DC3000 does 79 - 792. Seeing that you need to run your Mag throttled, then the DC3000 should be more then enough still.

RWH

If I upgrade to a 120 tank in the spring would that DC3000 still be enough or does that change things?
I would be keeping the same 45 gallon sump set up.
That was another reason I was thinking the DC4000..and keep the Mag 9.5 as a back up spare?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I run a DC12000 on my 120, but that also powers some reactors and a water change tank. I doubt a dc4000 or a mag 9.5 would be enough flow through on a 120.

RWH

Thanks Torx,

Certainly gives me lots to think about. Just checked a few sites online and it looks like the Jebao DCT4000 has replaced the DC3000 model as part of the new DCT line of pumps they are making. Waveline has done the same thing? Looks like the DC6000 is the smallest you can get from them?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Competition is heating up. It all depends on where you order on what you can get. You can still get the DC3000 direct from fish-street.com. Being that you are in the middle of an upgrade, you have a lot to consider. All I can vouch for is the Jebao DC12000, it has been good for me, and from what I have heard, the DCT line is even better.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I run a DC12000 on my 120, but that also powers some reactors and a water change tank. I doubt a dc4000 or a mag 9.5 would be enough flow through on a 120.

I know not a lot about these pumps. So here's a question that might help myself and others understand. On your dc12000...how many levels are there. And how many gph is each level?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I know not a lot about these pumps. So here's a question that might help myself and others understand. On your dc12000...how many levels are there. And how many gph is each level?

3600L to 12000L with 6 levels. Not sure off hand what they are. I have almost 10p levels though, I use my apex and DIY harness with it :)

Nighthawk26

I run the DCT 4000 that I bought from reefsupplies. I use it however in my 50G NSW container to mix so I can't comment too much other than it suits that job fine. What I didn't know is you can't turn it 100% off. If that matters to you, the only way to do so is unplug it. That or feed mode, but that will only last 10 minutes.

They are basically the knock off of wavelines which just launched their equivalents and they truly are apex ready apparently if that's a benefit to you.

bluewater

I'd keep your mag drive in a ready to go state (spare) if I were you. I've had two of these pumps fail on me. 1st was a dc12000 then the dct4000. Of course this happens at 2 am no less. First one was well out of warranty so I thought nothing of it and ordered the dct 4000. 3 months in and same exact failure. Yes the power supply lights up. Yes the controller lights up. Yes the impeller spins freely (vinegar soak) and is without debris.
I will say good on Eric from fish-street for immediately sending out a new controller. It however exhibits the same behaviour - pump in bucket of water, powered on, all leds on per normal, impeller attempts to nudge, then seconds later failure with leds change to only some lit.
My understanding is there are three wires in the pump cable
1)+24Vdc
2)ground
3)5Vdc signal

now, that 5v signal must connect to something right ? my educated guess would be a mosfet to control how the winding gets energized. I suspect that mosfet is failing resulting in frustrated customers and expensive non serviceable paper weights.

:mad:

bluewater

so the new controller arrived - and it does not solve anything- exact same behaviour. I'd wager the questionable controller would drive a working pump no problem. When informed of this fish-street replied that they want the defective pumps sent to them AT MY EXPENSE. It's not my fault they FAILED !

Buyer Beware - what is your reef worth ? at least have a spare ready !

I'd like to see the word spread about this.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Nothing new. Service is mixed like most places. I myself have not had any issues with Jebao products other then a wp40 dying on me. Sending product to the supplier is s new trend in warranty work. If the repair is covered, they cover the return shipping. My daughter's 3ds was the same, and that is a big company

bluewater

get this

they (fish-street) suggest/invite me to buy another pump. My interpretation = Hey why don't you buy a third one, surely it won't be a lemon/dud like the other two.
I'd have to be a special kind of stupid (wtf) !!! fool me once shame on you, fool me three times shame on me