Josh's 65g Frag Tank

Josh

Tank : 36x36x12
Sump : 100L Tote with chaeto and pond matrix
Skimmer : SWC 120 (out of tank while i build pods)
Controller : Apex
Flow : Mag 5 return pump, Glamorca nano gyre with apex controller, 2 nano hydors
Light : 3 x 165w Blackbox, 2 with all lens removed, 1 with only blue lenses

Stock as of right now is 3-4 types of soft mushrooms, 2 pieces of sps, 4 torches, 2 hammers, 40+ types of zoas.

Tank is plumbed into a closet through the wall, total water volume roughly 100 gallons. I put a 2" sand bed under the frag rocks to help buffer as well as take bioload.

Current stock is : 3 springeri damsels, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 lawnmower blenny. Couple crabs and snails as well.

Last edited:

Josh

nXRKczN.jpg

beU9ToR.jpg

Josh

How many can you name :D Ill work on learning to take better photos up until recently ive never been proud of my tanks enough to show them off.

Josh

Havent updated this in a while but I just added a tunze nano wavebox and i can honestly say this is what the tank was missing. I bought an older wavebox a few years ago used that needed alot of tlc, but i figured id give it a try as ive heard good things. I put it on my glass bottom tank which had a reasonable amount of detritus on the bottom. After 2 days there was almost none left other than a bit stuck under rocks. It also doubled the skimmate production on my skimmer. I could not believe how well these things work. If you like euphillia then you will love this.

Downside is they are pricey.... and to get 1 in Canada you are looking at 6-8week delivery, I ordered mine way back in May.

Josh

So this tank over the last 2 weeks has been trolling me. First off two weeks ago we decided to duck out for the weekend to my parents cottage near rhondeau. An hour or two after we arrived my apex heart beat goes off. I think nothing much of it because of the weird power issues we have been having. 1h40 minute later it pings me that its still offline. At this point im thinking great..... what type of shitshow am i into. We pack our stuff up and decide having the frag tank crash isnt worth a night at the cottage, we get maybe 10 minutes away just outside of blenheim when i decide to check it again just to be safe and the stupid thing is booted back up and shows the tank is fine. So we turn around and head back to the cottage.

Skip ahead a week. I come home one day (about a week into nitrate dosing) and notice the tank is cloudy. Bacteria bloom... weve all been through it. I make the assumption that me dosing nitrate probably caused a bacteria bloom. I stopped dosing and did a water change. 3 days later and two 20% water changes later the water is completely cloudy and at night is dark green. Seems like a single cell algae bloom, possibly something similar to a phyto? I couldnt see the frag rack in a 12" deep tank thats how dark it was. I decide to order myself a small UV sterilizer from what ive read online it seems to be the only way to attack this situation. Well the UV has been ordered for 3 days now and guess what? Yep the water is clearing up now that ive purchased it.

Seems like the tank is trying to bait me into rash decisions. Im going to hook up the UV when it shows up just to make sure things are ok and then clean it up and put it on the shelf. Should be a good thing to have laying around for these type of situations as well as for use on a QT/Hospital tank.

Josh

So bit of an update on this. Through water changes i got the water cleared up about 50%. The UV sterilizer arrived yesterday and overnight the entire tank is crystal clear. I cannot believe how well this thing worked. Anyone with a bit of cloudy water look into getting a small UV sterilizer, i used "Green killing machine" and found it to be pretty good.

Josh

RIP 65g frag tank. I have everything in a temporary 40g breeder. Its been a decent holding tank, it helped that my display was ready for coral so i was able to put half directly into the tank.

The replacement....... 60"x30"x12" its going to fit the entire wall. I think i need more lights..... Old tank was lit by 3 - 165w blackbox led's. Its around 85-90g of water.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
RIP 65g frag tank. I have everything in a temporary 40g breeder. Its been a decent holding tank, it helped that my display was ready for coral so i was able to put half directly into the tank.

The replacement....... 60"x30"x12" its going to fit the entire wall. I think i need more lights..... Old tank was lit by 3 - 165w blackbox led's. Its around 85-90g of water.
Just grab a couple of the 300w ones lol

Josh

IMG-20200611-WA0000.jpg

Built and about to ship.

I ended up going with a 4ft aquaticlife t5 hybrid. Going to put the blackbox LEDs on the inside.

I decided to match the t5/led combo like my display to keep things the same.