just got back from my trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

Hey everyone I just got back from vacation and my nano cube thats 29g is covered in alge and has plants crowing on the rocks up to 10cm long. Should I just clean the glass with my magnetic scruber or should i wipe it off and remove it from the tank?
Is there anything I can gte that will eat the plants?
Ive had the tank for 3 weeks now should I start doing water changes? should I test water peramiters first?
becuase i havent done a water change scince ive had it should i do more that 15%]
Thanks,
Mason

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Green hair algae is part of the cycle. Generally you should have experienced brown diatoms before gha but it all depends on what you did before you left. Are your lights on a lighting cycle via a timer? How long on/off? Have you done a water change yet? How much rock do you have? Any fish to jump start the cycle or is it a fishless cycle? Many factors can contribute to algae...

Generally you should manually remove as much stalks as you can and discard it in the garbage. Once done that scrape your glass and do a water change sucking out as much algae as possible. Replace with fresh salt water. Don't give up. It will go away as your water matures. You are going to experience all kinds if algae problems for the first year. I just switched over from a 55 gallon tank to a 135 gallon with a 55 sump. And low n behold, I'm into a new tank cycle. I'm getting diatoms all over my sand and glass. I'm just gonna let it ride and it will eventually eat up all the nutrients in te water and die off.... I'm sure I will secumb to gha as well. Welcome to salt water keeping!!!!!

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
You have a clown aftr three week
Of a new tank. Very brave. Most ppl opt to use a chromis or damsel due to cheap cost. As s clown runs about 20 a piece whereas u can grab a chromis between 5 and 8 a piece. Nonetheless both are from the same family or something I believe and are hardy. Regardless still manually remove the stalks and do a 15-20% water change after you scrape. Good luck N prepare for cyano lol... It's a bitch "lol" took me months to beAt

Status
Not open for further replies.