just picked up the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

Hey All!

for i just picked up a 55 drilled from fishit!!! and I'm ready to start here is the game plan;

1 powerhead - koralia unknown which one yet
20 - 30 gallon sump  (website on how to make it??)
return pump - unknown how many GPA i should go
Lights - got with the tank 4 bulbs (2 white and 2 blue) with moon lights
protein skimmer - confused about, i wanna put it in the sump
rock and sand - i will most likely go from eco-reef (50 lbs and 40 lbs of sand) is that enough sand?? I'm also going to get about another 10lbs of live rock form LFS
Heater - still looking now sure what to get

ill be cleaning the tank out this weekend

can anyone help or give advice on brand names or if there is something i am going to be doing wrong

any help would be great thanks

cheers

S

shayneh

I'm so proud that I was able to be one of the many folks here that will help start you on the path to a successful tank. Post some pics of the tank and dimensions of the holes/bulkheads so we can properly assess your system.

For the sump do you plan to incorporate a refugium?

Ask the guys at eco-reefer but that might be a lot of rock?

Cheers!

G

Gietz

i will post a pic of it when it is all cleaned out :)

is a built in overflow box and i wanna say the hole is prob and inch

what a bulkhead?? lol

as for my sump i still have to build it or find it and I'm not to sure yet  i didn't think i could fit a refuge in a 20 gal but i have a 10 could i make a refuge out of that and still have the 20 gal lol I'm kind of lost with the sump still

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
a bulkhead is what attaches your plumbing through the hole in the glass,i am selling eco-reefer rock here in agreement with the boys in kitchener,50 lbs should work good,let me know when you want some

S

shayneh

LOL! A bulkhead is the plastic fitting through the hole in the tank that allows you to connect your plumbing to the tank. Not laughing at you Gietz just that was a refreshing change from the great water debate! Here is a old pic of my sump!

Here's the faq's on eco-rock....

http://www.eco-reefer.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=12&zenid=a33c9dbc2ba40a8d3921017d251c4be0

G

Gietz

oh !!!! LOL i think i read through that water debate too,  i dont have a bulkhead so where i pick that up home hardware?? and as for the Eco-rock pulpfiction im in windsor and i was goin to get the deal with the sand included so

and nice sump lol  look complex tho 

R

reeffreak

i dont the think the hardware stores sell bulkheads you might want to try big als in london , or try one of the sponsors Im sure they have them too .

S

shayneh

Fadelle Marine in St. Marys carries all sorts of plumbing items (but you have to call or email Derek) and so does Reef Perfection.

http://www.fadellemarine.com/index.html

http://www.reefperfection.com/bulkheads.aspx

Trust me the sump is so easy to build it's crazy. Google DIY sump and spend about 30-60minutes looking at different designs and you'll be laughing....

S

stellarflare

Hi Gietz, There is another bulkhead option in Windsor. Windsor Factory Supply. The reason I am telling you this is because the standard aquarium bulkhead that is sold by FS are not built very well. Most are not even schedule 40 PVC. If you are, as a option looking for bulkheads or a superior type of bulkhead. I thought I would let you know that Windsor Factory Supply at 730 North Service Rd, Windsor, ON N8X 3J5 (519) 966-2740 sells schedule 80 Bulkheads that will not fail. The PVC plastic of a schedule 80 bulkhead is much thicker, which also means your glass hole diameter will be a little larger in size compared to the standard bulkhead. They cost more but you will find that they are a much more superior bulkhead.  :)

G

Gietz

Thanks for all the help!!! I'm going to be going out looking for a bulk head this weekend after I clean the tank, I looking forward to having this bad boy up and running

How about live rock tho?? How much should I but in?? Is 60 lbs to much??

MDGraves

I used the ones at TSC they are great, however they only had a hard plastic washer on the "dry" side and when I tightened up the first one the glass cracked :( after a FUN time fixing that cluster I made extra rubber washers and have had no problems

Blob-79

Super Active Member
OMG...that sucks!  thank god it never happened to me, I normally put dabs of silicone on my bulkheads, and then dont torque them too much cause im a wuss......

F

fishit

hey cant Wait to see that tank set up nicely again it does make a beautifully set up but ya the bulk head you need i think is 1 1/2 they have them at superior sea but they have no threads in them? don't know how that works also Dave has them marine fish authority Sam's ans like steler flair said factory hope this helps... also rock wise go with 50lbs minimum you can go more if you want. and for a sump a 30 gal works perfect in there they also have those nice returns like you seen on my tank at superior sea

G

Gietz

OK thanks all,

So I'm going to Sam's this weekend so ill pick up a bulkhead!
So i think I'm going with at least 50 lbs now with the rocks i was thinking maybe two reefs one pile on each side of the tank? has anyone does this  cause some of my buddies say it brings out aggression

thx all again

S

shayneh

I suppose it might depend on the fish but I would guess that the agression came on in other setups due to the fish maturing and naturally becoming more agressive, not because the fish saw it as 2 seperate reefs. I could be wrong on this....anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.