Just plain old fragging

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

Ok so I just got myself a frag rack and been fragging my Xenia and a couple zoas but I do have a couple question! Mushroom fragging has been pissing me of. I've got 10 to 15 purple, bright red an superman mushrooms floating around my tank and tank get them to stick to the plugs!  I've tried glue and elastic and on numerous time there gone the next morning. So how go I get them to stay? Next question. My Duncan colony is growing like a weed and I've noticed some heads are getting choked out by other head and are closed up.  I want a big colony but do I have to frag them to keep them health, like some ppl do to trees each year.

These are really newbie questions but as I'm a newb at fragging it fits lol

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
get your self some bone clippers and when trimming the shroom try to get a lil piece of rock so that you can glue it.  Alternatively you can set the mushrom on a  pile of rock rubble or crushed coral in a super low flow area and it will attach on its own.

The duncan should not be choking its self out.  It should just grow outwards....that said if you feel it would benefit from a trim...go a head.

R

reeffreak

you could also put crushed coral in a little tupperware container and take the mushrooms put them in there get some screen and an elastic band put the screen over top the tupperware and use the elastic band to keep them from goin out , eventually they will grab onto the crushed coral , put containter in low flow area if you have the room to do this . Im not sure about the duncans never fragged them before . 

Darryl_v , heres a question not to hijack  geitz thread  could be good info for both of us , if you trim back SPS and larger LPS colonies like you do a flower, does this increase faster growth or anything ? Like flowers you can get them to bud by trimming here and there I was wondering if its kinda of the same thing , I ask you because you have a lot of SPS fraggin exp have you noticed that colonies youve fragged tend to grow any faster after fragged as opposed to the intial grow out from purchase . or is there any long term effects to the colonies from fragging them over and over again color changes , slower growth/faster growth . Does this question make any sense  lol I know water parameters and light are what make SPS grow and get the colors but Ive gotten into gardening this year and found some similarties  between the two hobbies and was just curious .

G

Gietz

As for my Duncan's will they grow out horizontal? I stated with just 4 heads and they those 4 heads have about 5 new heads growing on Thurman's it's really crowded!! If they just grew out and not in a bunch I'd be good!  I'm thinking about fragging them but their stuck to the Rick really good lol

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duncans will figure themselves out.  I stuffed about 8 into a the opening in a big snail shell, and now there's 22 heads.  To frag them you need a band saw or be exceptionally good with a chisel.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Bump, so Darryl V sees question from before as I am interested as well.

Gietz, my only luck with fragging mushrooms/ anything extremely slimy when fragged has been in a container with live rock rubble. Mushrooms I have for sure thought I killed by ripping all apart to frag, but they always have came back.

G

Gietz

im going to be fragging up some hairy mushroom soon and i plan to just put them on rocks and put rubble on top of them till they attach

Status
Not open for further replies.