Just used my new Refractometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

reefin

I just was able to sit and use my new refactometer that was delivered today and I didn't expect the salinity to be 1.030 when my hydrometer measures 1.024.

That is a huge differance.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
A properly adjusted refractometer is a beautiful thing in a reef tank arsenal. Those cheap plastic hydrometers are pretty much junk.   

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

A refractometer is a must have.......I've had mine for about 3 years now and it has never needed to be recalibrated either......another suggestion is to get some 53ms calibration solution so you got something to test/calibrate from.......
I have been thinking about buying the digital Milwaukee refractometer for a while now but I'm just not sure if its worth it......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Not worth it.  You get the same information in less time.  Cost vs benefit doesn't make sense.  Unless you have bad eye sight or need to make testing idiot proof for a lit if people Running samples.

Rinse your refractormeter after each use.  I just replaced mine because the hinge point rusted up and the cover fell off.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Re: Just used my new Refractometer

Reef Hero link said:
A refractometer is a must have.......I've had mine for about 3 years now and it has never needed to be recalibrated either......another suggestion is to get some 53ms calibration solution so you got something to test/calibrate from.......
I have been thinking about buying the digital Milwaukee refractometer for a while now but I'm just not sure if its worth it......

i have the milwaukiee one. Cuz brs didnt have the 39 dollar one left in stock ,, it works good when yur llazy just pour a drop on the glass press read ..done ...i also have the red sea hydrometer and it is spot on with the milwaukiee

reefin

Re: Just used my new Refractometer

Reef Hero link said:

The unit came with the calibration solution so all good there! I was looking at the digital Milwaukee refractometer on youtube just lastnight! I think if I got one for a gift it would be fine but I don't think I'll buy one. Unless I was running a store with several setups then it would be handy! 

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
reefin link said:
The unit came with the calibration solution so all good there! I was looking at the digital Milwaukee refractometer on youtube just lastnight! I think if I got one for a gift it would be fine but I don't think I'll buy one. Unless I was running a store with several setups then it would be handy! 

Often times there is a recalibration fluid with the Refractometers but often they are fresh water.  There is another one which is a salt water sample which helps calibrate it for saltwater.

reefin

yveterinarian link said:
[quote author=reefin link=topic=4300.msg39554#msg39554 date=1360243748]

Often times there is a recalibration fluid with the Refractometers but often they are fresh water.  There is another one which is a salt water sample which helps calibrate it for saltwater.
[/quote]

yup mine is salt!  :D

AdamS

I have used the calibration fluid to check mine, but I have also used RO/DI water. RO/DI water is just 1.0000 even...

Is there a problem just using RO/DI water? Assuming 0 TDS

reefin

AdamS link said:
I have used the calibration fluid to check mine, but I have also used RO/DI water. RO/DI water is just 1.0000 even...

nope not at all

B

Bill@IA

reefin link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4300.msg39612#msg39612 date=1360256783]

nope not at all
[/quote]

True, if the refractometer was made properly but you may want to use both just in case. Here is the excellent article written Randy HF on just that topic.  http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

:)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Good question.  I've had my refractometer for years and only every calibrate with 0tds water.    I did once buy calibration fluid but it worked out the same for me so I just went back to using RO/DI water.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Good question.  I've had my refractometer for years and only every calibrate with 0tds water.    I did once buy calibration fluid but it worked out the same for me so I just went back to using RO/DI water.

i thought the same thing.. i had 0 calibration fluid and also rodi and used it to calibrate mine.. when tested against a digital refractometer i was actually sitting at 1.021 instead of 1.025 like my refractometer was reading. a salty calibration solution is a good idea, just to be safe..

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
good article Bill.  I learned that if you use 35ppt cali fluid once in a while and it matches the calibration you get from 0tds water you are good to calibrate with 0tds water, meaning your refractometer is set up for the right refractive index...sorry just scanned it but that is my understanding.

Also if you try to calibrate with 0tds water and than 35ppt and they dont line up you can still use the refractometer but only by calibrating it with the 35ppt fluid.  I guess some refractometers sold do not have the right refractive index for saltwater.  Something to be weary of.

reefin

Bill@IA link said:
[quote author=reefin link=topic=4300.msg39614#msg39614 date=1360257074]
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4300.msg39612#msg39612 date=1360256783]

nope not at all
[/quote]

True, if the refractometer was made properly but you may want to use both just in case. Here is the excellent article written Randy HF on just that topic.  http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

:)
[/quote]

Thanks for that article Bill. That was a good read! It had the information that I was looking for.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Send me 10 bucks and some water samples.  I will run it through the lab and tell you to the 4th decimal place what it is:). For any extra 50 I will run your calcium copper phosphates..... Through a plasma gas spectrometer thingy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.