Large Polyp Blastos help...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I recently bought a beautiful blue large polyp blastos colony and it is a little to big for where I want it to grow out. Any tips on fragging it?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Torx link said:
I recently bought a beautiful blue large polyp blastos colony and it is a little to big for where I want it to grow out. Any tips on fragging it?

Saw works best, let it deflate/retract before cutting to insure you don't damage skin.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
unibob link said:
[quote author=Torx link=topic=6901.msg69048#msg69048 date=1384917385]

Saw works best, let it deflate/retract before cutting to insure you don't damage skin.
[/quote]

Yes sir, let it deflate and try to get between the polyps if possible. I've used a tile saw but a hammer and chisel will work if your careful.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have a tile saw, but that is obviously not too dexterous but I guess okay, but I would be cutting through some heads. I might try to find my chizel...or maybe my dremel.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
harleymike link said:
Would an angle grinder with a cutting blade work.

I'm sure somebody has done it. It would probably be a lot more difficult to control but, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would want to make sure that the blade your using is made of metal.

One thing to keep in mind, is that your working with saltwater so any tools you use will get rusty real quick. (hammers, chisels, power tools etc. :) )

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh...I think I have a rrotary saw..kinda like a dremel only looks like a mini router...gears in this ol head are turning now.

Thank :)

I will video is when I do it.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Torx link said:
I have a tile saw, but that is obviously not too dexterous but I guess okay, but I would be cutting through some heads. I might try to find my chizel...or maybe my dremel.

Dremels work great to scribe a cut into the rock. Then strike the scribed in lines with a hammer and chisel. Boom goes the dynamite!

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Your probably going to damage some of the polyps regardless of how you frag it. Just do your best to keep it to a minimum = less healing time. I think you'll be surprised at how hardy LPS corals are when fragged and how quickly they bounce back. 

Seggsy

When I fragged my bubble coral, I used a dremel.  Here is what I did:

- cut through the back of the skeleton as close to the coral as possible
- gently break along the cut using a wedge (try NOT to tear the flesh if possible)
- so now the skeleton is broken, but some flesh is still attached to both side, over a couple of weeks, slowly strech the two sides apart until the flesh separates.

Kind of finiky and time consuming, but worked twice on a large buble.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
harleymike link said:
Would an angle grinder with a cutting blade work.
I use an angle grinder with a dimond blade, works great, more maneuverable than the tile saw

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I used my buddies little band saw only a 24" blade but 1/4" from teeth to back worked amazing with fine teeth im heading to home depot soon lol next to no loss turned right between polyps will post pics once i buy one