LED Build - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seggsy

OK - I am planning my T5 bulb replacement order, but seeing the group buy on the LED's has me thinking...  But there is just too much info out there!!!

Can someone in the buy bottom line it for me:  what would be the cost of LEDs for a 75g mixed reef (I am guessing 90 LED's?  but you tell me):  LEDs, drivers, heat sinks, lenses, power, dimmer, hangers, whatever I am missing......

And has anyone in Windsor done full LED?  I would love to see it, and learn the pitfalls

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I built one but I used the crees and drivers that are at least certified in North America :) Jk

I did a 96 led build over a 5ft tank.. Think it was about 850 ish once it was done.  The GB is going to be about half the price I woudl guess.  Some one involved in the GB will give you a better idea on it.

Seggsy

Thanks Neo.  If it's $400 all in, that will make it a tough call vs $200 in T5 bulbs.  Can't wait to hear more.  BTW - was the 96 lights enough?  Coral growth been OK?

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Well here's my two cents worth... Mind u it isn't valid for coral growth as much as lumens but I bought the 36 LEDs from aqua style and ran all blues. I wanted to add more color to the tank and enhance my corals. Without my halides on the blue is so intense it almost hurts your eyes. You've seen my tank, it's six foot and I did 36 LEDs every 1.5" over 54". It covers my entire tank. As far as the whites go I have no experience with YET. I am going to be ordering the 72 led kit to illuminate all the holding tanks for the fish. If I had to make an educated guess, on a 75g 48" tank I would run the 90 LEDs. Worst case scenario is its too bright but you can dim them. U can buy the entire kit for 228$ plus s/h and fabricate your own fixture out of aluminum u channel. I buggered up and bought furring channel for drywall with mine. I installed a fan at one end and it cooled my LEDs so much the metal is actually cold to the touch. Pulp fiction is running all led on his tank. He can provide info on growth. I can 100% say I believe LEDs will sustain soft corals and most Lps. Sps I'm still up in the air on because many factors contribute to healthy growth patterns of Sps. So to solely blame LEDs for not keeping Sps alive is hard. I am running mh and I still have some
Necrosis on some Sps. I eventually wanna switch out the t5 fixture on the coral tank to all led. No more changing bulbs yearly. Shimmer effect and colours are ridiculous under blue led. It's something you just gotta take a chance with and if you don't like it you can always sell it and buy new bulbs.

Just my 2 cents....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Keep in mind that the life of LEDs is 75% power after 11 years. So there are NO bulb replacement for over 10 years. Take that savings in with the electric bill, and it amounts to a huge savings.

As for quality, MrSaltwater is upgrading his tanks to LED currently, if he is doing it, you know they are good.

A 90 LED dimmable is $229.00 plus shipping, plus heatsinks (prooably 4 at 17$ each I think). Or you can make your own as I am. So just over $300 for the build. Blob is the expert on price, and we will be getting a BG discount as well.

Seggsy

Wow - so other than heat sinks, EVERYTHING is included in the package in the group buy?  I tried to follow the thread, but got bored  :-[. 

Are there optional lenses or something that can be added to get par to the bottom?  I don't want to order anything and find out I need $100 of lenses, and $75 dimmer, and $90 hanging kit, etc.  Anyone who knows me, knows I don't have a fish budget - I just don't want to save up $400 and find out I am screwed for a couple of months because I need $200 more supplies.

Thanks for the help for a lazy researcher and even lazier DIY guy - last thing I need is another project, but this is pretty cool.  And yes KK your tank rocks, but it's not 100% led yet!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here is the info you need I think. You can also special request changes such as rearranging what LEDs you want plus what optics. If you want heatsinks, they come with hangers. Shipping is by weight, so it might be worth DIY the heatsinks. Just the kit shipping will be around $39.00, with 4 heatsinks, shipping jumps to $86.00 plus the cost of the heatsinks.

Aquarium 90 LEDs Dimmable

DIY LED Kit

With Heatsink Plaster! No drilling! 
Many Options of LEDs Color!!
White, Royal Blue, Red, Violet available!!

Kit includes:
•90 x 3 watts Bridgelux LED
•90 x 60 degree optics
•5 x  constant current dimmable LED driver (100V-240V)
•5 x potentiometer (control dimming)
•5 x heatsink plaster
•2 meter wire
•20 x wire connector
•5 x power cord

Optional:

• Heatsink - Buy heatsink will come with a Free hanging kits

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not sure if there will be duty, KrazyKarl should know.

But there is nothing else that I can think of other then a peice of wood to mount the drivers on. Maybe a fan to keep the drivers cool. Either way, it is completely worth it in my eyes.

I have been doing a lot of comparisons online with reefers forum who have upgraded, all their comparison shots look better with LED then with any other lights. Also, growth is equivilant as KrazyKarl posted. I have not read anywhere at this time where someone has regretted upgrading to LED.

phatpaco

Come on and join us!
I have no clue what I am doing (ok maybe a lil) and AM SO EXCITED TO PLAY!!!!! I am only going to put a 72 pack on my 90 gallon 4ft and will have SPS,LPS and others in the tank....I asked a few peeps and they said depending on how I assemble it this would be more than enough for my tank...Whatever you do make sure you get the dimmers so your corals don't spontaneously combust!!!

Did I mention 3 days til ordering!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.