LED dimming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blair

hey guys looking for sum advice from a few guys that have bought the diy aquastyle kits, just a quick question about dimming these leds, i bought the 120 led bridgelux kit from aquastyles, ive hooked up the blues and before doing the whites i tried testing it, so my question is how capable is the dimming control using the pot included in the kit from turning it down or up it dims but very very slight it seems light it only goes from high to med-high, i was under the impression i could dim either colour almost to the point of off or on, is this possible? any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
blair

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
The pots they give are garbage. Go find yourself a 10 turn pot with the same resistance. You will be able to control the dimming a little better but in my experience they suck. I'm back to using my halides. Lost a lot of sps with those LEDs

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Let me be the first to bluntly say that the pods they send are  :poop: I have yet to get some new ones, but they are on my shopping list. Mine do the exact same thing, they only dim from about 50%-100% on.

EDIT: Damn you KK, you are quicker on the reply then I was. :D

blair

haha ok thanks guys glad im not the only one that thinks this, ive been looking for a better controller, having a hard time finding a nice digital one, that dim4 wont work on my clg drivers, ill shop around and try n find a manual one    thanks again

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
The drivers you get with the 120 kit are not digital. Therefore they are not controllable. only manual control via pot.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
ya the pots are kinda junky you get about 0%-50% in 3/4 of a turn and about 50-100% in the other 1/4 turn.. i havent replaced them tho because once you get them set you should be good to go and they wont need any adjusting

blair

ya for sure if i find anything ill post or if anybody else does please post as well, maybe if we find one we can group buy it or sumthin if theres enough of us

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
There should be a controller that can do the lights to.....like apex...reef angel.

reef angel can control our diy kit lighting now, apex and reefkeeper cant yet.

blair

the reef angel looks pretty sweet, a bit pricey but sweet, id like to try a few inexpensive manual pots before i spend big bucks ill post what i find not sure where to start...... but i no a decent electronics guy that may no, ebay has tons but clueless to which one is right, the 4.7k is obviously not enough i wanna be able to almost dim a colour off or on

blair

those dimmer look nice and great price but can we use the pwm kind? sum good links here peter keep em comin if ya can
thanks

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
You still want 4.7k u just want 10 turn pots instead that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.