Led Help Needed

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
Help....electronic genius needed!
I have two 300w Mars Aqua fixtures I would like to control from a Typhon or Bluefish controller. The fixtures each contain 100 (3w) Epistar Led's. Each fixture also has four drivers/power supplies, with two dimmer switches and on/off switches. The dimmer pots are labeled....On/Off, V+, VDM+, VDM-....and are analog.
I have some specs from the manufacturer, which seem very vague.........
The driver we used to the light is 60W dimmable driver 500-550MA
Input voltage:AC85V-265V
Input watt:60w/110v
Input amp:0.8A/110v

I also have some specs that were gathered by someone on Reefcentral........
-Four wires coming out of the LED driver: on/off, V+, Dim+ and Dim-
-V+ provides 12 VDC
-On/Off is the enable line for the driver. It needs to be connected to V+ for the lights to work. The current draw is minimal for the enable pin; measured in circuit at less than 5 mA.
-Dim+ and Dim- provide the dimming. It is an analog signal (confirmed with an oscilloscope) and ranges 0-10 VDC (but quite noisy). Peak current draw between Dim+ and Dim- was measured at about 5.5 mA.
-Dimming works by pulling Dim+ to Dim-. With an open circuit between the two the drive is full on; shorted together the driver is full off.

I have a Typhon controller here that I can use to test with, but I need to know if I need to convert the 5v PWM on the Typhon to the 1-10v analog fixture, or does the 1-10v on the light need to be converted to digital 5v PWM on the Typhon? Also, what parts will I need to achieve this?
I have searched wide and far for many, many hours and maybe just cannot comprehend the schematic drawings posted. I have seen them do it for the apex and others, but I believe those are all direct analog.
This is all new to me, so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks...Jim...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Typhon LED Controller (Typhon) is an Arduino-based platform that provides four independent output channels (both 5V PWM and 10V PWM signals) for dimmable LED drivers.

If what you found on RC is correct, you do not need to do anything to convert the 0-10 VDC to use with the Typhon. The Typhon has 0-5 and 0-10, just depends on which pins you are using. Should be straight forward for the most part. Here is the Typhon LED overview and information you need. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0055/9572/files/TyphonControllerManual.pdf

2vv6wk1.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh, yes, bridge the on/off with v+. That will leave the unit On constant. Then use the VDM +/- for the dim control. Should be a quick solder/wire job. Maybe @Pistol can add his opinion here as well.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I believe you should turn the dimmer knob to off as well before using the Typhoon. That way the knob is not providing a signal

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
Thanks TORX.
The only thing is that the Typhon 0-5v and 0-10v are both PWM. I have 0-10v analog if that's correct.
I might give it a try over the weekend. The controller I really want is the Bluefish controller for this, and know that if I can make it work with the Typhon I have, the Bluefish will also work. These controllers are awesome....https://aquarium-led-controller.com/product/bluefish-led-controller/ Spencer from Bluefish Aquariums just called me back and believes that the Bluefish should work with it right out of the box. He said it is defaulted to 0-10v analog and settings can be changed for PWM. I would still like to make sure with the Typhon.