LED lighting

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Anyone ordered any of the cheaper led lights that are available on ebay? Or has anyone had success with a less expensive version of led lighting? I really know very little about led lighting and would appreciate any info or good sources to read more and get a better grasp of what I need to know before buying any brand.
thanks

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Duke suggested I check out reef breeder led - went to the website and found some great video and explanation of degree(s)
looks like a great possibility !

bluewater

if these are the reefbreeders known as the d120's I just got some.  There is a thread on rc about cheap chinese leds.  Without a par meter they look bright - as bright as vh0t5.  I read that you should be able to keep anything under these.  I bought mine from ebay - asked vendor about group buy-  still coming

There are also these led floodlights i can send you a link to

cheers

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have been using the "china" brand LEDs for a while, they seem to be working OK. They are what they are is all I can really say. They do grow softies and LPS. They have come a long way and now offer dimmable with full spectrum which is what I would recommend if buying one. I recently read about the reefbreeders as well and seem promising and within an acceptable price range for discount LED manufactured in America. I personally will either be going DIY from RapidLED or their Onyx brand for my next fixture.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I think it's safe to say they grow sps as good as any other lighting available also. Torx, on that reef breeders site you can buy single leds not on stars for cheap and swap some of your current leds on that fixture you have to make it more of a full spectrum and very reasonably priced also.

harleymike

Super Active Member
If and when i switch too led lights. I would seriously consider these. I am almost sure I would by these. Did alot of research and they seem very dependable.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I think they are an affordable way to go, my favorite thing about them is the even spread u get from big panels of leds and not the puck "spotlight" setups. The top of the line reef breeder fixture also has a controller for sunrise/set wch is nice.

Cree leds are also manufactured in China, in fact their China plant produces more leds then their American plant.

Whatever brand u pick I don't think u can go wrong,

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Torx link said:
I have been using the \"china\" brand LEDs for a while, they seem to be working OK. They are what they are is all I can really say. They do grow softies and LPS. They have come a long way and now offer dimmable with full spectrum which is what I would recommend if buying one. I recently read about the reefbreeders as well and seem promising and within an acceptable price range for discount LED manufactured in America. I personally will either be going DIY from RapidLED or their Onyx brand for my next fixture.

Thanks everyone, Torx, Shayne (average guy)  has ordered 3 of the economy lights 120 spectrum,  (179.00 a unit I believe) I'll see them and time will tell how his tank does with them, I'll ask him to give us his thoughts on the purchase once they've been running a while.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Shayne tried emailing  RapidLED repeatedly and never got a response from them. He was going to try DIY, but went for the reef breeder instead  when he couldn't get a response from them.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh wow,  that doesn't sound like RapidLED. I am it talks with them right  now actually about my upcoming upgrades. Never more then 24 hours for a response,  sonetimes several in one day.

Although it is kind of in our favor because now we can get a personal review on Reefbuilders units. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Torx link said:
Oh wow,  that doesn't sound like RapidLED. I am it talks with them right  now actually about my upcoming upgrades. Never more then 24 hours for a response,  sonetimes several in one day.

Although it is kind of in our favor because now we can get a personal review on Reefbuilders units. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought it kind of strange that he got no reply, repeatedly, but yes! on the up side we'll get a personal review ! got to love that part of it !

KBennett

If you don't mind soldering, check out Steve's LEDs.  I didn't buy a kit, but that's where I got my LEDs from. 
I think the luxeons are as good or better than the Crees.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
LEDGroupBuy.com is another good source, and they have solderless versions of all their LEDs.  It's where I got all my LEDs from, except I went with the solder versions.

DerekL

Steve's LEDs is a great company always quick responses to any questions you need answered. I have personally seen some amazing sps tanks that also have reef breeders LEDs as the only light source. I was going to go with reef breeders if the wife didn't okay the orphek Atlantik

DerekL

I think it's personal preference but when researching LEDs I constantly read the Crees are supposedly brighter. I chose Orphek cuz they specifically designed there led chips for reef tanks. You will see a lot of LEDs pendants with more blue and royal blues then whites. And this is not the case with the orphek Atlantik my white LEDs are 17500k and 10000k. I am not saying orphek is better then any other brand but after years of research and the wife allowing me to spend the big $ I felt that the Atlantik would be my best choice for LEDs as I knew I wanted a sps dominant tank

KBennett

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=KBennett link=topic=6726.msg67256#msg67256 date=1383853809]
I think the luxeons are as good or better than the Crees.

If you say so.
[/quote]

That's my thought, plus if you compare specs on the royal blues, luxeon es vs. Xt-e, the luxeons are a little more efficient.  I was on the Cree bandwagon, but decided to try these instead.  I have no complaints...  Both definitely work well.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Hey if they grow nice sps without supplementation, it's all good.  I think I'm 95% blue to white in my setup, the whites are just so damn overpowering!!