Distinguished Member
Haha yea but I was supposed to be downsizing from my 180g XD
But all the efing fish died so it changed from a great deal into an ok deal

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
I think LED technology is good, but obviously you will get better performance from a better built(name brand) light fixture. I get good growth from mine, would it be better if it was name brand yea probably. But remember my tank is only 16\" deep compared to 24-30\". I run my blues at 100% and whites at 20-35% so I can get the nicer kelvin look. In order for these fixtures to hit the bottom of your tank you would prob need to run both at 100% and it looks really yellow IMO.

Yeah, totally disagree.  Unless you are paying absolute TOP dollar, you will get way more bang for your buck from DIY, without question.  There's just financially no way you can get a better deal from a fixture...they have to buy the parts, they have to assemble, they have to warehouse, they have to provide warranty, they have to ship, then the local guy has to mark up 100%.  That's how $500 in LED's turns into $1500 delivered to your door.  '
Just sayin. 

I really got to stop preaching this stuff though, I honestly don't care to promote or defend this stuff... I had some guy over a few days ago, because he was arguing with me about how much LEDs suck.  Well jesus he has some 48" marineland POS light, I think it's got 50W of lighting total or something equally laughable.  "but it's reef rated" he says.  You know if you're going to spend under $500, stick with T5, or a used MH system (there's going to be more and more of them coming available!  (just my opinion) :)

AdamS

If you want MH, contact your local electrical contractor. I happen to know that they remove MH fixtures from buildings on the regular. If you were willing to pick them up, i bet you could have them for free.

blair

whats the dimensions of yur tank brandon? i have a 6 foot metal halide fixture id let go for cheap if that helps you out

Status
Not open for further replies.