Lesson Learned

gowyn

So a couple of weeks ago my fish came down with Ich. Pulled them out of DT into a quarantine tank (32gallon.)

Coming along nicely, all better.

So yesterday was time for a water change. Took out 20% and thought I’d “top up” the medication.

So added some more PraziPro and 1ml of Cupramine. I don’t test for Cu mainly because most tests are inaccurate.

Anyway all done. Happened by the QT tank a couple of hours later and uh oh! All fish were panting. My Flame Angel was lying on its side. Not good.

I figured too much Cu so did a 60% water change (all I had on hand.). Luckily within an hour all fish were back to their normal selves.

Got REAL lucky.

Moral of the story, either test or be very careful adding meds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Copperkills

So a couple of weeks ago my fish came down with Ich. Pulled them out of DT into a quarantine tank (32gallon.)

Coming along nicely, all better.

So yesterday was time for a water change. Took out 20% and thought I’d “top up” the medication.

So added some more PraziPro and 1ml of Cupramine. I don’t test for Cu mainly because most tests are inaccurate.

Anyway all done. Happened by the QT tank a couple of hours later and uh oh! All fish were panting. My Flame Angel was lying on its side. Not good.

I figured too much Cu so did a 60% water change (all I had on hand.). Luckily within an hour all fish were back to their normal selves.

Got REAL lucky.

Moral of the story, either test or be very careful adding meds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gotta be careful because Copperkills

Seame

Hi, I know this post is aging a bit but I found this forum today and was browsing a few.

Always check on line when mixing chemicals. Cupramine and Prazipro are not safe to use at the same time and can be deadly. Seachem has a question and answer forum and searching you will see they state not to mix these two.

Similar cupramine and Prime are not good to mix together, I learned that one the hard way myself.

When using cupramine it's a good idea to have an established biofilter like a sponge filter or hang on the back filter so you don't have ammonia spikes in your quarantine tank.

loonie8

Its good, we share our experiences, all of us do have had bad experiences once awhile, sometimes we do not know the answer. Last Dec, lost a lot of new fish, a lot of money gone due to my mistake, despite they were in a QT tank. I used a kind of construction glue for my divider since its strong but did not know it produce kind of chemical which will affect the chemistry of the water. I did not figure out why the fish were dying until sometime later. What I did, I soak the divider in water, a hour later I find there was kind of foaming white substance floating, its strange, so I figure out this must be the reason. Yes, angry I was for my mistake, I threw it away, bought a couple of damsel fish as test fish, they are doing fine now for 2months, so it confirms my mistake. Just sharing what happen to me.