Leveling

cyberloach

Noob question. I've got a new 15 gal high tank. I leveled the stand and it's perfect but when I put the tank on the tank itself is not level. With the tank on the stand, the stand is still level??

So what do I do level to the slightly off tank or keep the stand level?

heath

Distinguished Member
level each piece as you go, even when you begin to add water and it will only be more out of whack when you start adding water.. is it on carpet, if the carpet is plush then there will be some settling and crushing the carpet..

cyberloach

Hardwood but the stand is level so its really the tank that off. its 12x12x24 tank so the foot print is small, it seems to be off by about 3mm

here's the tank
upload_2015-10-31_22-41-49.jpeg

Joshbrookkate

My son is an engineer. He helped me level my tank after it had been set up for a few months. He found the TRIM on the tank was not level. He used a smallish (compared to the long 4' level I had been using) digital laser level. So he used the water line itself to determine what was level.
We didn't try to level the tank itself, just the stand, with shims.
The fact that it is on carpet with a thick carpet pad made it even more challenging. We had to keep levelling as we filled with water.
Just letting you know my experience. The Trim on the tank could not be used to level the tank.

heath

Distinguished Member
good point, people assume that the tank is level.. this is why you have to level each piece and make the adjustments as you go..never assume anything.,..

cyberloach

That seem to my issue, stand is level, tank is level at the bottom of the tank but it goes out of whack near the top

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
when checking if tank is level set your level on the bottom pane the top edge is unreliable due to the cut being slightly off or it squished the silicone a bit more on one end during assembly. if your stand is level and bottom pane level you should be good.

cyberloach

I got out the laser level once it had some water in it. All is good the tank is level just the black trim at the top is off on one side