Light Issues

dale

so after spending thousands of dollars and a hundred man hours,, my new aquarium is getting too much sunlight in the morning.. i put up drapes yesterday, but when we get up the dining room lights go on and light up the tank... i will not turn my tank lights on before 10am cuz i dont them turning off at 6 cuz then i will only get to see the tank for an hour a day, which is absolutely crazy to keep a tank to see for only an hour a day and i will not do it...
my options are.. take the tank down,.. move it back downstairs (approx $800 and another 50hrs),.. put blinds around the tank (then i only see it when lights are on),.. just leave it and let the algae grow and the fish go insane (which i prob wont do),,... or ???? .. any suggestions

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I fail to see the issue with the rest of the lighting. Most reefs are subject ex to 12+ hours a day of direct sunlight.

I am like you, my lights don't come on until noon. That way they are on during the time I am home and awake, also increases the time they are on during off-peak hydro rates.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Dale I don't think it would be an issue.... your tank is not in a window and the dinning room lights won't hurt anything. I don't think I'd worry about it to much... but that's just my opinion

dale

I fail to see the issue with the rest of the lighting. Most reefs are subject ex to 12+ hours a day of direct sunlight.

I am like you, my lights don't come on until noon. That way they are on during the time I am home and awake, also increases the time they are on during off-peak hydro rates.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

thats what i would like to do but there is no way to keep the aquarium dark from 7 till noon. the fish behave different between light and dark and will start daylight stuff at 7 or so when the sunlight/house lights are shinin in their tank. and i was shootin for 10 hrs a day to help with algae control (its been a problem),, the lights were set at 5pm to 4am ( my reef still is)..
so if the lights go out at 8, they are "awake" for 13hrs... 3hrs more than i would like and the lights are still going off earlier than i would like... ugg.

AND the poly tanks im lookin at are well over $300! ... i should trade the whole kit for an ant farm!

dale

yea ambient lighting from the dining room wont matter.
direct sunlight might but blinds fix that.

I have my lights come on a 12 and shut off around 10 at night as well.

it matters to me when my babies dont get the rest they need "sleeping" in the rocks for 8 hrs as opposed to sleeping for 12 hrs.. thats like an 18%loss of sleep..

dale

i have the light on beside the reef and it doesnt bother it. light on beside the fish tank and its lit up just like the rest of the room..... maybe install pot lights in the dining room..instead of chandelier style... might help..