lighting find good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
what is your hydro rate in your area? how long are the lights on per day?

you will be adding 500w of electricity... so at .13 $ a KW/hr your looking at 7ish cents every hour the lights are on.. and that's at our peak rate.. if you lights are running at off times/weekends the cost per hour will go down. but say 60 cents a day is a very high estimate if I was doing it.. so .60x30 your looking at 18$ per month, but this is all dependant on your hydro rate. and here our rates drop signifigantly on weekends and off peak hours. so its probably a lot less than 18$ per month.

Seggsy

Seems like a ton of light.  I have never run MH, but I have 6 T5 on my 75 and can grow SPS fine.  Others may have experience with a similar light though.

reefin

now I have a lead on a 6 bulb T5 HO for about $350 in the box so I guess what I should be asking is would the 6 bulb do what I need?

I just posted a video of my 90 in the members tank section with the 4 bulb that I have now.

nitro069

That light looks very similar to my old lighting system i had. It was made by Odyssea. I would contact the seller and find out the make. If it is Odyssea, DO NOT BUY!!!! There Lights are junk. the bulbs are a complete pain to change, the reflectors are complete garbage and the 2 external ballasts for the MH are sketchy at best. Found them to get very hot and don't always turn on. They are also not csa approved.

reefin

nitro069 link said:
That light looks very similar to my old lighting system i had. It was made by Odyssea. I would contact the seller and find out the make. If it is Odyssea, DO NOT BUY!!!! There Lights are junk. the bulbs are a complete pain to change, the reflectors are complete garbage and the 2 external ballasts for the MH are sketchy at best. Found them to get very hot and don't always turn on. They are also not csa approved.

Thanks for the info nitro, I will find out for sure!

reefin

Duke link said:

you will be adding 500w of electricity... so at .13 $ a KW/hr your looking at 7ish cents every hour the lights are on.. and that's at our peak rate.. if you lights are running at off times/weekends the cost per hour will go down. but say 60 cents a day is a very high estimate if I was doing it.. so .60x30 your looking at 18$ per month, but this is all dependant on your hydro rate. and here our rates drop significantly on weekends and off peak hours. so its probably a lot less than 18$ per month.

I appreciate the math Duke  ;D

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reefin link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3942.msg35070#msg35070 date=1357490508]

you will be adding 500w of electricity... so at .13 $ a KW/hr your looking at 7ish cents every hour the lights are on.. and that's at our peak rate.. if you lights are running at off times/weekends the cost per hour will go down. but say 60 cents a day is a very high estimate if I was doing it.. so .60x30 your looking at 18$ per month, but this is all dependant on your hydro rate. and here our rates drop significantly on weekends and off peak hours. so its probably a lot less than 18$ per month.

I appreciate the math Duke  ;D
[/quote]

no worries at all, hope it helped a bit.. it always seems worse when your thinking about it.. But even 500w of lighting isn't going to change your bills significantly.

Jewel

500 for the light is a bit much, alot of people are trying to get away from MH, The main concern i have with the light is that it's impossible to do any maintenance on the tank.

J

jones02

nitro069 link said:

Csa approved? Does that really matter since 90% or more of the members on here prob. Don't have a csa approved fixture. Ati, tek, any diy led, basicly all of them arnt. There is only a couple that are when I did some research on it. And they are shitty fixtures. (T5s)

reefin

I haven't checked lately to see if it was still for sale since I didn't get a response from the seller as yet.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 6 bulb T5 fixture any way!

nitro069

jones02 link said:
[quote author=nitro069 link=topic=3942.msg35075#msg35075 date=1357491276]

Csa approved? Does that really matter since 90% or more of the members on here prob. Don't have a csa approved fixture. Ati, tek, any diy led, basicly all of them arnt. There is only a couple that are when I did some research on it. And they are shitty fixtures. (T5s)
[/quote]

Good point. didn't realize that most fixtures are not csa approved. I found out my odyssea lights were garbage after i started having problems with the ballasts and did some more research after the fact. Doesn't change the fact(in my experience anyways) that these lights are garbage. I guess for me not being csa approved stuck out because the switch would turn green when i switched it on but the bulb would not turn on and the ballast overheated.

Ignorance on my part, i didnt even check if my ATI fixture was csa approved, just went on reviews and reputation :-[

spyd

Super Active Member
I grew SPS no problems whatsoever with my 6 x 54w T5HO Tek Lite Elite. That would be enough for a 90G tank as well easily. I would just upgrade lamps to ATI bulbs. 4 x AquaBlue Plus, 1 x Coral Plus and 1 x Purple Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.