Lighting issues

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ill draw a picture when I get back to a comp if you need :) worth a thousand words lol

MrHermit85

chief hill link said:
Let me play with it and see.  Im using a fluke t51000 electrical tester

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Ooo a FLuke !! Arnt you fancy!!! Should totally be a diode setting on it. The the beep simply signifies continuity so as you can check whether specific connections are connected to what they should be connected to.

I had a problem where my blues stopped working too and I found a loose connection between the LED strings and the drivers. Are all the LEDs that are not working off of one driver? Or are there some working in both strings?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Here is what I remember. I may be a little rusty on my electronic theory but pretty sure this is correct.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
chief hill link said:
Thanks neo. Pictures are great.  Thanks buddy you've been a great help so far.

Posted a picture:)

Boga

Checking the resistance to the ground is good.

Also I would take a simple LED tester, 2x1.5 V batteries in series and check each LED in the string. You will found one that does not lit.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Boga link said:

Also I would take a simple LED tester, 2x1.5 V batteries in series and check each LED in the string. You will found one that does not lit.

That's the same thing a diode test setting does:)

Boga

Neopimp link said:
[quote author=Boga link=topic=7472.msg77102#msg77102 date=1389920307]

That's the same thing a diode test setting does:)
[/quote]
Yes and no. Depends by the instrument (I think). Does the instrument provide the voltage (3V) and current to test in real conditions? I think is good for simple diodes, but could be a problem for LED's.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Mine shows whatever voltage is needed to cross the diode.  Forward voltage drop. Need to check spec sheet on what that precisely is but 3-4 volts is standard. Does not show amperage since that's not really important to diode testing, usually.

LEDs are simple diodes, they just make light:)

This also causes the led to light up when the leads are the right way on the diode.  Nothing happens the other way, or shouldn't.

Boga

Thanks. I tried on a star few seconds ago. The battery test is OK. My instrument shows zero both ways.

Tested on a simple Diode (1N4002) and the instrument shows 0.534V. So I guess that my instrument is not capable of measuring 3V LED's. I do not own a high end instrument anyway. It is a radioshack 22-806.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Interesting I just assumed all meters were capable up to approx nine volts.  Since that's the size of battery in my meter:)

I think his fluke will read it:) I hope lol

Boga

LOL Neo. You made me open my instrument. It has 2x1.5 AA. They don't specify it on the case. Probably the fluke would work for chief. He will know after one or two LED's.

chief hill

Will update tomorrow gents.  I put all back together for now.  I hope one of my LED's is shot and it's causing the problem.  If that's it I'll bypass it. 

KBennett

So everyone is on the same page, the model he has is a voltage tester, not a multimeter...  He only has voltage, current, and continuity. 
I doubt the continuity test would be enough voltage to light up a diode, and it shows ohms, not volts.
T5-1000.jpg

Is this the one Chief Hill?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Lighting issues

If that is the case then he can use the beep test for Solder pads to heat sink and will have to use a battery set up as stated above:) to test the other lighting up stuff.

chief hill

Watch "How to Test for Grounding in your LED String" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRYEpseJaBM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This would've been better than typing lol.

chief hill

OK update I got them working again.  There were no grounding issues.  I made a tester with 2 wires and a 3v lithium cr 123 battery and tested each led.  Sure enough 1 is blown out. So I jumped it for now. 
Thanks to everyone for the guidance it helped very much.