Local Stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Hey all,

Almost brand new to the hobby and enjoying the community and support available.  Even if I find myself looking at Canreef and other West cost sites.  Anyways I was refered here by person named Cal and am glad to see somethign local.  I just recently moved to Sarnia On and have been trying to find a local resource for this hobby.  Anyone have suggestions about food stuffs and supplies?

Cheers Dave

lewis844

well for food and supplies there is not much in sarnia besides pet smart but in the states there is a great store called Kee's pets on 8190 23 Mile Road
Shelby Township proabaly 30 min away it has everything from lighting, skimmers, powerheads, food, chemicals, etc..
If you are ever going to the states go there and check it out they also have great coral and fish ( I have brought coral back but not fish not sure of the rules)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Good to know... being close to the border mayhave some advantages

C

Cal_stir

Hi Dave
Welcome to Thefragtank, there's not much in the local vendors market around here, there are some good on line vendor's though.
We get some food, salt, heaters, etc., at Petsmart, there are some good vendors in London for fish, corals and big items, there is a list of stores in this forum.
What kind of system are you looking to get into?,have you had a tank before?, have you checked out the members tanks thread?

Cal and Ruth

G

garfield

Re: Local Stores MICHIGAN stores

Lewis844, What about Anchor Bay in New Baltimore? Actually, I found a list/map of Michigan stores and would like some advice from members on which ones to visit when I go there in 2 weeks.

http://www.masm.org/gmap/

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had a 46 gal freshwater aquarium before I moved here.  When I got here I figured I woudl try salt water.  So I picked up some LR from kijiji, remora c pro HOB skimmer, and a 39Wx6 T5 light fixture also from kijiji.  Got two clowns and a star fish along with a bunch of snails and crabs.  I found hydroids on one rock and one aiptasia on another. The rocks were small so I boiled and baked the pests for a couple hours.  And that has been my experience thus far, I have no sump and I use Tap water... OMG the horror I know :) Been running for  3 months and after the little diatom bloom hasn;t really had much algae in the way of algae. 

Anyways, I got looking at the layout of the new house and realized something great.  The aquarium is placed above the laundry room.  The biggest complaint about the tank from the wife was the noise from all the stuff running.  So that got my mind rolling.  I can see a fish room developing out of the way out of sight. 

SO here I am now.... looking for a 5ft long 120 to 150 gal tank.  I am finding them kind of rare though.. see alot of 6 ft one but that would hit a thermostat on the wall.  I obviously don;t have the equipment for a tank that size yet so I am hunting for a complete setup.

Prob start out FOWLR and move into reef setup as I collect more gear and of course knowledge.understanding of it all.

So thats me and my history.  Cheers :)

Image_3723.jpg

iantower

Well like the guys have been saying... Im from Sarnia to and there is nothing good around here buddy. Petsmart has your salt and supplements and food, no lights or equipment to speak of.
The only store that sells saltwater livestock around here is petZone but is a horrible place and all their stuff is over priced and unhealthy (sorry about the bad reviews PetZone but put some pride in your store).
So for me i do a lot Kijiji and this site for livestock and for new equipment Ive had great results from goreef.com out of quebec. Canadian store so no duty hassle and shipping is fast and their prices are good for me.
Well welcome to the site.
Cheers!

lewis844

Re: Local Stores MICHIGAN stores

garfield link said:
Lewis844, What about Anchor Bay in New Baltimore? Actually, I found a list/map of Michigan stores and would like some advice from members on which ones to visit when I go there in 2 weeks.

http://www.masm.org/gmap/

ya i forgot about them they are ok too really cramped in there haha but the selection is pretty good also the staff is helpful

G

garfield

Already hit Tropicorium. Taking a buddy down and just killing the day window shopping and getting ideas unless someone has a great sale on equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.