Looking For Fish, The Rules Keep Changing

Seasquirt

Hi all, those of you out there who are looking for fish just like i am keep hitting walls, i keep hearing how everything is going up and up and its true, it really hits home when you're the person looking to stock your tank.

I went on the BA website to see what was available, 5 fish none that i wanted so i called to find out that their site wasn't updated only to find out that they had more but not what i wanted.
But i did purchase a Midas Blenny, cool fish yup, pricey yup, yup but I'm happy with my choice.

Then i call another BA and find Purple Tangs for 120, small yes but i thought what a deal and Clowns for 25 not bad eh.

In the mean time i contact two private sellers who have Blue Tangs, sure its not a Midas Blenny but hey even BA Blue Tangs are 150 and yes plus tax but come on peeps you're not going to get rich selling fish, how much is a Blue Tang and a Coral beauty worth?
350, 260 how much would you pay? Obviously i will be picking uo the Purple Tang and the Midas Blenny. I don't mean any malice with what I'm saying but really this is a hobby, we are hobbiest. Why not pass a good deal on or get what you paid not take advantage of the times.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yup. this hobby is definitely supply and demand. I used to sell corals cheap, even pricey ones. There was even a point I needed to stop because stores were purchasing from me, then selling themselves for 10x the price all while bad talking me. Good luck on finding a blue tang. Just saw some earlier at a store for $250 which is ridiculous as you could get one for less then $100 a few weeks ago. Hell, I had seen them as low as $40-$60.

Seasquirt

150 at BA kitchener, I'd rather not anyway, they're too big for a 125,
Their are others that are more suitable if you can find them.

I'm looking for a Foxface and it turns out that they are illegal to own in Kitchener because they are poisonous. The search continuous Lol

Josh

Well this is news to me... I wont say where i got mine last week however I did not leave London. *wink wink* Little guy is doing well and eating.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I spent that one cleaner shrimp :) I agree stuffs very expensive, but I mean it’s to be expected I seen this comming years ago . At the end of the day it’s us humans shooting out self in the foot . (Global warming , cost of crap in general , and people asking crazy amount of $ just because of a name or looks cool . I’m sure @TORX knows about this as he stated he knew the frags he was selling was worth lots , it’s just unfortunate there’s not more people like him out there looking out for us hobbyists and not him own wallet ... to a certain extent! (Unless he needed an upgrade to the fancy stuff !) ;):D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 89

Seasquirt

Well this is news to me... I wont say where i got mine last week however I did not leave London. *wink wink* Little guy is doing well and eating.

Did I not say the Kitchener/ Waterloo area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasquirt

Hi, I learned when I tried to get one, that a local bylaw makes them illegal because they’re venomous. I’m not sure if ownership is illegal, but selling them is. HTH

Yes that’s right, illegal to sell,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Just to toss some more info that I've heard into the ring, with the current lockdown measures and greatly reduced recreational air travel, shipping costs are increasing and aquarium hobbyists among others are feeling it. When people were criss-crossing the globe on a regular basis there were airliners flying with partially empty cargo areas, which was a loss for the airline. Now that the number of planes flying into/across Canada has dropped at a greater rate than the amount of goods being transported airlines can charge quite a bit more to fill the same empty space.

Stuff that can be reliably aquacultured on the other hand, clown fish being the simplest example, the distance between supplier and retailer is much shorter, so the price is a lot more stable. Pretty good financial argument for inland marine farming imo.

On a personal note, I've had an order in at a LFS for a new Salifert calcium test kit for a week, and they've been sold out for at least a couple weeks before I placed the order, so even dry goods are starting to be impacted. Some people like to take advantage of the current global situation, but I'd say there are just as many hobbyists selling to other hobbyists at or below fair pre-COVID market value, it's just a waiting game.