Looking For Skimmer For 180gal

TheGreenStag

i am following on this thread instead of creating another one on the same topic. i am looking to get one myself and was aiming for either Cloud9 from Coral box or Curve9 from Bubble Magus but i am not sure how they will perform down the road...after reading your thread i will look into the higher end skimmers too as someone said above skimmer is the workhorse in your filtration and it doesnt makes sense to cheap out on it...

shamous113

I Have a Life Reef vs3-30 with a Mazzei Venturi, its and absolute beast IMHO. The great thing about this skimmer is that you can use any pump to run it and their easy to maintain. here is a good thread from Reef Central on these skimmers.

Letsdiscus

So far stopped on octopus regal 200int what do u think?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

These are good skimmers newer versions offering Variable speed pumps.(energy efficient) with feed mode buttons.

Besides the pump being variable speed, i am not seening any reasonable justification in these skimmers with the price for providing more control. U wud get feed control and delayed start if ur using apex.
Only other area i see it may differ is the soft start of the pump which imo wud not warrant for high price.

These r my thoughts though. Skimmer is good but wud u want to pay the price even if u have Apex to do most of the control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamous113

how big is your system overall..been looking into this as well. how abt maintenance parts support etc?
I've got a 150gal display with a 120 sump in the basement. I figure I've got 230-240gal total water in it. Support is amazing Jeff (owner of life reef) is great at customer support and will talk your ear off about his product if you call him with questions. so far my maintenance has been low, drain the skimmer cup when needed and I take it off once a month to take the thick sludge out of it. his design seems to use parts (gaskets and valves) that are standard sizes that you can get replacements any where.

TheGreenStag

I've got a 150gal display with a 120 sump in the basement. I figure I've got 230-240gal total water in it. Support is amazing Jeff (owner of life reef) is great at customer support and will talk your ear off about his product if you call him with questions. so far my maintenance has been low, drain the skimmer cup when needed and I take it off once a month to take the thick sludge out of it. his design seems to use parts (gaskets and valves) that are standard sizes that you can get replacements any where.
Thank you wow your and my system are exact similar in terms of display and basement sump....tht helps.

Dima

Already setup one. Thanks guys
825d9ca3ad39f69b87c43b47d57f2290.jpg

Dima

Hi guys probably stupid question but how do i dial the skimmer? Its been running full gate valve open for about 2 weeks. First question is what are the air intakes on photo for? Second how do i dial skimmer with gate valve. And third why my foam is not reaching to the top is that because water clean? Thanks for your help
6532f2d9f43f4fe846ce2317925c3aa3.jpg
53fd864250aa911bb7c0908d665a4e14.jpg
507ffaa1a6aea639ec45682c8247843e.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is a silencer for the air that is being sucked into the skimmer motor. The air line that goes into the motor should be connected to the bottom of that.

Slowly close the gate valve until the foam reaches higher in the neck. You open and close the gate valve to tune the skimmer to the right level.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dima

That is a silencer for the air that is being sucked into the skimmer motor. The air line that goes into the motor should be connected to the bottom of that.

Slowly close the gate valve until the foam reaches higher in the neck. You open and close the gate valve to tune the skimmer to the right level.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thank! so basically I have one plug should I close one air intake ? I dont really feel the diff either they are closed or opened its pretty quite in anycase.

For the gate valve so my foam used to reach to the top, now it dropped so basically I have to close the valve until foam reaches and generates good skim right ? when there is too much water in skim I open the gate, correct ?

If yes the amount of foam generated depends on amount protein in water? meaning as more fish and food I add as I need to redial the skimmer correct ?