Looking For Thoughts

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Looking for your thoughts on a “lid / mesh” top for a 120 gallon 4’x2’ with euro brace ? Not sure this is my first euro brace and don’t really want jumpers escaping!

Dr. Zoos

Well I’m in the same kinda situation my 4x2 is rimless though. I have come across the Red Sea screen cover that is for sale at sustainable marine and reefsupplies. In my case I would have to buy 2 parts kits to get my light mounts and overflow to fit. I’d bet most fish cost more that the top does.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Yeah so I guess maybe build a screen to fit on top on the euro brace ? Just worry about it moving around for myself .. thankfully my over flow is external and won’t be an issue for a lid. it’s just I don’t have a canopy on mine and my lights will be hung from ceiling

Dr. Zoos

I haven’t seen a better looking solution so far. I know there are cheaper diy ways but I doubt I would get it to look as good
I’m interested to hear what others say.
I’m in love with the too down view of my tank but not the thought of my fish on my floor

Winks

Website Affiliate
Yeah so I guess maybe build a screen to fit on top on the euro brace ? Just worry about it moving around for myself .. thankfully my over flow is external and won’t be an issue for a lid. it’s just I don’t have a canopy on mine and my lights will be hung from ceiling

I have euro bracing on my tank and have a screen that came from Sustainable Marine. It fits perfectly. When I get home tonight, I'll take a picture of it and post it here for you to see.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Well I’m in the same kinda situation my 4x2 is rimless though. I have come across the Red Sea screen cover that is for sale at sustainable marine and reefsupplies. In my case I would have to buy 2 parts kits to get my light mounts and overflow to fit. I’d bet most fish cost more that the top does.

I think you can actually buy just the connectors to go around your light mounts therefore not having to buy 2 complete kits.

Jason Bell

Looking for your thoughts on a “lid / mesh” top for a 120 gallon 4’x2’ with euro brace ? Not sure this is my first euro brace and don’t really want jumpers escaping!

The fish are on their own! My dearly departed Diamond Goby was a jumper, several adventures to the floor, one memorable jump off of the wall and in to the litter box, a quick rinse and back he was.....surprising his fate was not met via a jump.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
The fish are on their own! My dearly departed Diamond Goby was a jumper, several adventures to the floor, one memorable jump off of the wall and in to the litter box, a quick rinse and back he was.....surprising his fate was not met via a jump.

I had a yellow coris wrasse years ago I had a lid and the bigger knew only one 1” part was able to hit it to get out about 8 times and the one he was in the little box for 45 min , he lived about 5 more months then one day I was looking in the tank and bam and a seizure and tweaked so hard and fast then just died :/ felt bad for the guy ..

Jason Bell

I had a yellow coris wrasse years ago I had a lid and the bigger knew only one 1” part was able to hit it to get out about 8 times and the one he was in the little box for 45 min , he lived about 5 more months then one day I was looking in the tank and bam and a seizure and tweaked so hard and fast then just died :/ felt bad for the guy ..

I like the yellow and green coris, would like to get a couple for the new tank, thinking of going many small fish.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Here is the best pics I could get of the cover.
F65C89E7-13A1-41DF-A026-BD400E1D8794.jpeg
F65C89E7-13A1-41DF-A026-BD400E1D8794.jpeg F65C89E7-13A1-41DF-A026-BD400E1D8794.jpeg

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Winks is that easy to take off for getting in the tank ? I’ve personally only had glass tops

also how did you secure the feeding point ? I see some screws but what are they hitting if it’s mesh under it ?

Winks

Website Affiliate
@Winks is that easy to take off for getting in the tank ? I’ve personally only had glass tops

also how did you secure the feeding point ? I see some screws but what are they hitting if it’s mesh under it ?

It is very easy to remove the cover. I can get in and out of the tank in seconds.

The feeder port is made up of three pieces. The screws that you see, which are made of pvc, are connected to nuts, which are also made of pvc, which are in the identical piece you see on the top ( octangle shaped) then the third piece is the actual part you remove to feed. It keeps all the food off of the screen without removing the screen. My fish have gotten used to it so much that when I go near the tank, they head to the portal thinking it's feeding time even if I'm at the other end of the tank. They know exactly what it's for.

You can get the feeding portal from tjcdesigns.ca or @reefdiver , sustainablemarinecanada.ca

If you want to see more pics of on that is not installed, let me know I have more here.

thehvacman

heh yeah, the big hood/box that encloses everything. Just has a cleaner look to my eyes, keeps the heat in as well (I used to worry about too much heat before I went LED, now it's too cold!)
Plus 1 for a canopy. Very tight fit to keep all fish and a dwarf golden moray from getting out, and it does a good job at keeping the heat in. My heater comes on all summer with my tank in the basement. I also agree that it is way more pleasing to the eye, then looking at a bunch of lighting. It should be about what's in the tank, not what's over it.