Lots Of Questions

scottbennett86

So I recently started a 40g tank. My only livestock is 2 clowns and a hairy mushroom. I have lots of live rock with Coraline algae, I have however been using just plain sea salt from instant ocean not the reef crystal variety(had not planned on coral or having coralline for 6 months or so). My concern is that the Coraline will fade, though I will not be to terribly disappointed as I already expect this but would like to prevent it. I would like to use up the sea salt and just replace with reef crystal or another brand equivalent. My questions are.
Could I be testing my ca and alkalinity and dose now to try and save it?
Is there anything beside CA, alkalinity and phosphate that I should test for?
Or should I just go buy a "reef" salt now?
Next question is how slowly should I add more livestock. Is the 1 fish per month rule a good one to follow?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

thehvacman

Using regular instant ocean salt is fine. When mixed with regular tap water it will give you plenty of calcium, that is why the algae is growing. There is nothing in your tank to consume the calcium. If you plan to house hard corals then you will need to start testing and dosing calcium, magnesium, and alk. And you will be fine to just add to the regular salt with no need for reef crystals. Reef crystals make dosing easier in a highly stocked reef.

thehvacman

And quarantine is a must for new fish. Six weeks min. At that rate you could add 1 every month and a half would be good for your bio filter.

scottbennett86

Lol. Ok. When I get home I'll post a few pictures. The ones in my phone suck. And there is not much to look at yet. Just some purple coralline algae the mushroom and clowns.

heath

Distinguished Member
what are your plans for the tank, mixed reef or fowlr, that will help you decide which salt to use.. I use both salts, IO in the fowlr and pony tank.. there are mushrooms growing with the ponies and they are doing fine.. I do use reef crystals in the mixed tank..
There are soo many ways that you can go with your tank and I can tell you that you can have a plan but it always changes, especially when you see something beautiful...

scottbennett86

Most of what I have seen leads me to soft corals. There are more than a few hard that I like but have decided to start soft and go from there.

And also as far as stocking rate for corals. Should this be done just as slowly as fish?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
#1 rule of thumb. Nothing in this hobby happens quickly.

As for adding corals, they all use elements at their own rate, your best bet is to add, test and adjust. For the most part you are okay to fill er up with several at a time, but be ready with a good test to monitor your big 3 and nitrates and phosephates. I personally would add them slowly. It is better in the long run.

scottbennett86

Big 3... calcium alkalinity and magnesium?

Is weekly often enough? Would more frequently in a tank this young (and reefer as inexperienced as me) be wise?

Last edited:

scottbennett86

Here are the little guys.

1bed0870acd7f3a6c6ae2572dc358ab9.jpg

scottbennett86

Alright so after so my current(until tomorrow when I learn something else new) plan is. All soft in the current tank(40 long) this includes mostly palys zoas and my polyps.
In about 8 months to a year move to my 120 gallon tall aquarium. My lights are 2 300 w leds sets and 4 t5 ho 48 inch(not presently in use). I have mocked this setup into place on the 120 which has a 60 x 18 footprint. The led lights only cover about a 2 foot x 1 foot area each. If I use this setup with the t5ho as primary light and the leds to create a high light zone of about 4 feet by 1 foot for some more demanding corals (birds nest maybe) both higher in the tank and toward the back of the tank would it be to much light in the area around the low light area around for my lower light corals.
Does this make sense?
Should I just keep them under the t5 light now to avoid acclimating them?