Major proble!!! Losing everything!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGraves

All my corals are pissed, all retracted, I had a major fish and invertabrate die off as well
I have some hair alge (a few tuffs) and the odd bubble

Any suggestions or help would be great, thanks

My numbers are
Ca 420
No3 0
Po4 0
Kh 10
Ph 8.2
Sg 1.026
Temp 82.1
Mg 1050

Some befor and after pics

043fd6b2.jpg

0522bbab.jpg

a444c60d.jpg

7b0b9787.jpg

703038b5.jpg

c49d1e46.jpg

I don't have a before of the tourch, but it was nice
9280027d.jpg

C

crazybizzle

if those numbers are right dunno, try lowering your temp maybe ? but only thing i can guess is did u dose recently? ive had bad shit happen when dosing more that 1 product at a time and theve created a invisible problem that withered all my corals.. hope it all comes bacj
k.

Seggsy

Did you frag recently, or did something big die first?  Water changes and lots of fresh carbon would by my next step.  Good luck.

Z

Zakk

I would also question your test results.  Hair algae usually means phosphates. 

P

phi delt reefer

check your ammonia

what brand test kits are you using

have you recently cleaned your basement or used any chemicals that have toxic fumes? think paint cans, thinner, windex, goof off, CLR etc.

do your kids have access to the sump area - could they have thrown anything in?

have you checked for a voltage leak?

MDGraves

How do you check for a voltage leak?

The first thing to die was a med powder blue, then a fish or two per day

P

phi delt reefer

25% at minimum if things are dieing left right and centre.

voltage check - you need a multi-meter. i believe you set it to 110v AC (blob/darryl/krazy karl - please confirm). put the positive in the tank, negative in the ground hole of a wall socket.

are you removing all the dead stuff as quickly as its dieing?  Check your ammonia.

retrace your steps to before everything started dying. What did you do (even consider regular maintenance)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
My immediate thought is some kind of toxic contaminant

Double check ammonia if you can. Also NO3 and PO3. 

Water changes are of course in order.

MDGraves

I just isolated my frag tank from the rest of the system and will do a major water change tonight to eliminate toxins. I would like to get some coral dip first befor I move things, where can I get some?

Some dead things could have been in the tank for up to 12h without me knowing because of work :(

I don't have NO3 or PO3 tests, I will get them tomorrow

Ammonia next to nothing

The weekend before this happened I got an acan, the dunkan, and the small pc of rock with the blue polyps

I will check for voltage tonight as well thinks for the tips keep them comnig

And I got the temp down to 79.8 today

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It could be almost anything...

Before doing too much, I would consider going to a nearby LFS with a water sample so you can get things figured out. An accurate testing of Nitrate, Ammonia, and Phosphate can help direct your efforts.

Do a 10-25% water change tonight and see what happens.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
in my opinion 82 degrees isn't a killer,not of everything as described anyways,good you isolated what life you have left,should always have that escape route in case of these things,its almost sounding like a bacteria issue,you say ammonia is near zero,it should be zero,period,as well as nitrites,very deadly to everything in the tank,i wonder if your ammonia is in a state of falling,this would lead me to believe nitrites are rising,you need to test,water changes over next period of time,i would be doing 20% min every other day until i was satisfied all was safe,testing is the best way of seeing anything coming that will harm your Eco system,quarantine anything new is next on the list,for 5-10 days in a separate filtrating system,i would pound the carbon to it till i accomplished the water changing to get the system stable,stop feeding for a few days and test for nitrites and ammonia,this is just my opinion and how i would deal with it,a little H2O2
would not harm you,would help with the hair algae and maybe help your overall situation

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya..many good suggestions, i would almost follow all the suggestions lol. just to cover all bases. Carbon, waterchanges, water tests, definitly keep an eye on your nitrates, then you know if it was an ammonia issue or not. I cant see this being related to phosphates or temp really.

Children and wives are also an option..does the wife use windex or anything to clean your glass? maybe spray air freshener...Where your skimmer is located is there any chance the skimmer is injecting toxins from the air into your tank? are you dosing at all? if so, any chance of overdose?  The newer things and rock you added to your tank, was there alot of die off?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Blob-79 link said:
Children and wives are also an option..does the wife use Windex or anything to clean your glass? Where your skimmer is located [glow=red,2,300]is there any chance the skimmer is injecting toxins from the air into your tank? are you dosing at all? if so, any chance of overdose?  [/glow] The newer things and rock you added to your tank, was there alot of die off?

another excellent point i overlooked,thanks blob,we are all here to help

MDGraves

Did a big water change on the isolated system last night and moved the best looking corals into there. Did the voltage test on both systems 0V AC. See what happens tonight, my lights do not come on till 5pm
The new stuff that was added were small pcs with no visible die off
The only air freshened in the house is in the up stairs can, the tank is down stairs

Thanks for all the help so far and I will keep you posted

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.