Mangroves

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Hey team

I love to see your mangroves and setup for mangroves .... I want to learn as much as i can about them ... I have 3 atm ... i water them ... sing to them ... but sure whatelse to do ... they roots and leaves and lots of light...

but do i trim them or leave it or ??? there about foot tall with leaves and everything ... got them from sealife..

do they also remove phosphates...

Hong

I have some floating in my tank. I would not trim, just remove dead leaves. Should spray leaves to remove the salt deposit.
They do remove help remove nutrients, but from what I read not as effective as the macro algae.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I love mine. I would like to start trimming them. I heard that if you trim, the leaves will start to grow denser. Maybe the mangrove guy @JamesHurst can chime in. (although it has been a few months since he was last online). I just have mine tied together in a corner in my sump. There is a red bulb on them 24/7. The roots on them are a good 6-8". They are also a neat little conversation peice. For some reason, people really think they are neat.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
torx do u find a drop in your phosphates??? how many you got?
Doubt I can speak to that at this point. I added them around the same time as upping my gfo. I am in the process of taking my gfo and pellets off line though. I only have around 6 mangroves, so I can't see that being the #1 removal of phosphates in my system.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I really like my mangroves too.
I have 14 in my fuge growing over some live rock. I use two 100w equivalent cfl bulbs running at 14 hours of light in reverse to my dt.
My largest one is easily 3' tall and the rest are around 12-24" tall.
I keep mine trimmed and they seem to be doing really well. Mist them once a day.
I find with this many, it does make a big impact on my no3 and po4. But not until they're settled in and growing well. In the past six months, the mangroves have really started to grow and in that time. My cheato has stopped growing all together. My no3 and po4 are still testing at zero

Sony Xperia Z3

Easto

Can you guys post a pic of your mangrove "setup".

I should have a good amount of space in my sump and I'd like to see how you guys are incorporating the mangroves into your sump

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
4784a1d6af68c8442302712d449842bb.jpg
d76826f08bf957b5255e451ad7e854ce.jpg

Sony Xperia Z3

jroovers

Super Active Member
Those mangroves are awesome looking Eric!! :) When did you start them and how long did it take to get them to that state?

Does anyone know if Sealife still carries groves, I think this thread has sparked some interest in me trying some out...

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Those mangroves are awesome looking Eric!! :) When did you start them and how long did it take to get them to that state?

Does anyone know if Sealife still carries groves, I think this thread has sparked some interest in me trying some out...
Thanks.

They have been in my sump for a little over a year now. They really didn't start taking off in growth till about 4-6 months ago. I thought they were dead for a while there. But I just kept misting them every day and didn't move them. Then once the roots took hold of the live rock below them. That's when the leaves really began to sprout. Everything time I trim them. They slow down growth for about 3 weeks. Then off they go again.

Sony Xperia Z3

sunnykita

Super Active Member

the last time I was in Sealife they had quite a few ;)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks.

They have been in my sump for a little over a year now. They really didn't start taking off in growth till about 4-6 months ago. I thought they were dead for a while there. But I just kept misting them every day and didn't move them. Then once the roots took hold of the live rock below them. That's when the leaves really began to sprout. Everything time I trim them. They slow down growth for about 3 weeks. Then off they go again.

Sony Xperia Z3

I was under the impression they are quite slow growing, you must be doing something right, that sounds like relatively fast growth :)

the last time I was in Sealife they had quite a few ;)

Hong

Nice pics. I don't have a sump, so they go right in the tank. Haven't figured out how to plumb the sump and fit it under the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20151126_205435.jpg
    IMG_20151126_205435.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20151126_205424.jpg
    IMG_20151126_205424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95