Marco Key Largo Dry Rocks

Canadianeh

Anyone is using Marco key largo dry rocks? What did you guys do to prep the rocks before? Their website says they are very clean and come "pre-cured"

I am planning to use them to start a new reef tank. Can I just soak or wash them in RODI water after picking off any dry dead organics and brush off any impurities before I put them in the tank?

heath

Distinguished Member
Is there maybe someone close to you that is selling their live rock.. sometimes you can buy it for $1-2.00 per lb.. when I did my first tank I bought it from our local fish store and paid $10.00 per lb... little did I know...and I followed the rule of thumb, 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon.. it was a 90g tank...:eek:

Canadianeh

Is there maybe someone close to you that is selling their live rock.. sometimes you can buy it for $1-2.00 per lb.. when I did my first tank I bought it from our local fish store and paid $10.00 per lb... little did I know...and I followed the rule of thumb, 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon.. it was a 90g tank...:eek:

Only Big Als and I don't like their rock and they want to you to pay with your kidney to buy their rocks at $9/lbs.

I really like Pukani or Marco Largo rock look. It's only $2.99/lbs at reefsupplies. I bought 50 lbs for my 40 lbs tank

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I bought mine at big als as well. .. very expensive unfortunately.

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Only Big Als and I don't like their rock and they want to you to pay with your kidney to buy their rocks at $9/lbs.

I really like Pukani or Marco Largo rock look. It's only $2.99/lbs at reefsupplies. I bought 50 lbs for my 40 lbs tank
14.99/lb in kitchener haha!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Joshbrookkate

Post here in our "Looking For" forum. It seems there's always someone with live rock to sell......
I agree with Heath. Buy it from a fellow reefer if you can.

Luke.

Distinguished Member

Lol that's it?!? I've seen $16.99 before a pound for LR

Nighthawk26

I used Marco Rock. There is nothing pre cured about them. You need to cure them no question. I cured mine for a few months before. That said, a year in, and I have a GHA issue with little to no explanation for. 0 Phosphates measured, low lighting period, no nitrates really above 5. Speculation of course leads to rock, but it's just that, speculation.

Canadianeh

I used Marco Rock. There is nothing pre cured about them. You need to cure them no question. I cured mine for a few months before. That said, a year in, and I have a GHA issue with little to no explanation for. 0 Phosphates measured, low lighting period, no nitrates really above 5. Speculation of course leads to rock, but it's just that, speculation.

You cure them for few months?!!? You must be one of the harcore ones. Some other said a couple of weeks, the other say few days, and another say just rinse them with vinegar and rodi water.

I guess there is no one right teaching here

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
You cure them for few months?!!? You must be one of the harcore ones. Some other said a couple of weeks, the other say few days, and another say just rinse them with vinegar and rodi water.

I guess there is no one right teaching here
If you just let it cycle in your tank for a few weeks your fine... never plan to do anything quickly bud... you take short cuts you could have a crash.... that's the best way is to be safe and let it cycle .... I did 6 weeks.

Nighthawk26

I do not for one second believe from scratch that Marco does not leach phosphates. Min min, cycle the rock. several water changes, and if I were to do it again, I would use high cap gfo or rowa while doing it.

Canadianeh

I will let it cycle for sure but I am thinking whether to cycle it in the tank directly, or use a Rubbermaid. I want to make sure if I do it in Rubbermaid, my wife will not give me lecture on how we are running out space because of it.

Canadianeh

I do not for one second believe from scratch that Marco does not leach phosphates. Min min, cycle the rock. several water changes, and if I were to do it again, I would use high cap gfo or rowa while doing it.

why you think Marco will leach phosphates?

Dan Cole

There is no need to cure marco rock....it is clean and has been out of the ocean for hundreds of years. There is nothing to die off.

Dan

SpongeAl

The dry rock has some nice shapes, but the live rock is the way to go IMO.

I used that dry rock on my first tank, my experience was similar to others. It takes a long time before the various fuzzies reside, perhaps running some kalwasser would accelerate the coraline, I don't know, but it can be a long and ugly road with the dry rock. At the very least you should have some live rock just to add some diversity of fauna.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I used Marco rock for all of my tanks. I just rinsed them, aquascaped them and cycled them with my tank cycle. I seeded the rock with some live bacteria and used the ammonia method to cycle. No problems with any of the tanks due to the rocks.