Maxspect has MELTED?!?!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
now that is REALLY SCARY !
hope you get a loaner til you get it sorted out, for that kind of money to end up with a fire hazard is an extreme piss off - what could have happened is best not thought about

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I should have gone with the ATI 8 bulb like I had originally planned.... *sigh* I just had to have these sexy lights that looked so nice....

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
From reading online you won't be getting replacements, they will want your lights for service.. And they will only fix them, not replace them. Definitely line up some other lights for now.

What a bunch of bs, for it only being a few specific fixtures supposedly affected there sure are way way too many exact same issues others are having. I'd be demanding your money back and go with something else.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I would gladly trade these fixtures back in for even store credit to get a different setup. Not sure how reasonable that is to ask for though. I have had them for several months. (Over 6 but under a year)

I do have all the boxes and such though! I am a huge packrat.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I wouldn't want to use the lights fixed/replaced... It wouldn't matter. It could have burned your place down. Just think of the children, and if you don't have any think of the ones in your building. To me going to another setup of lights is the only solution I would agree too.

Wanna try a 10 bulb ATI over your tank, its only 48" long but man it acts like a sun tanning bed!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Did you buy online or through a store? if through a store, I'd be demanding a credit or cash refund to apply to a different brand of light, confidence eroded, possibility of house fire. Unacceptable in my world
good luck
Sherry

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Tony,

I thought you wanted LED....more specifically CREE LED. You should see if you can find something temporary or a loaner for now and get someone on here to build you one using your canopy. I'm not at all suggesting myself because I got no time. But have you seen the ones that AdamS and SaltyCracker built? Not to mention the fact that they both are having good success with them.... Maybe they would for some extra cash....
I will be setting up something else very soon this winter and still on the fence about LEDs but I think I'm going to do it.....DIY of course....seems like the best way to go....

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I have no partial love for LED, I just fell in love with the maxspect razor's design and that they seemed to be getting great reviews.

I am highly considering revamping my lights. DIY will not be the way I go though. I might get the same fixture as you Ben, just plain though, no programmer. Down the road I'll have more flexibility with a controller as well.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I do like my sunpower..... But the built in controller is not really needed.....plus mine has a flaw where it gradually pushes the time ahead.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So what did Bill say he would do for you? 

The T5's you have on the tank should hold you over for now I would say, and realistically billy should loan you something, he likely still has a pile of MH fixtures lying around.  Also, make sure you have a GFCI on the tank circuit and both a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher (rated for electrical fires) nearby.  I would be mad at myself if my DIY frankenstein melted down, but I'd damn well take a hairy fit if my expensive commercial fixtures melted (both in the same place!!). 

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
So what did Bill say he would do for you? 

The T5's you have on the tank should hold you over for now I would say, and realistically billy should loan you something, he likely still has a pile of MH fixtures lying around.  Also, make sure you have a GFCI on the tank circuit and both a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher (rated for electrical fires) nearby.  I would be mad at myself if my DIY frankenstein melted down, but I'd damn well take a hairy fit if my expensive commercial fixtures melted (both in the same place!!).

Ya that's a huge, huge issue, I've never heard of a T5 fixture melting away ;)

AdamS

Ive seen a compact fluorescent ballast melt, dropped  molton plastic in the washroom of a grade school, nobody hurt, thankfully.

Problem was the lamp was improper lamp.

Hunniford19

I have one of the maxspect lights just went in to check see if happened to me and it hasn't but feeling around same area it's really hot so it's definitely something going on there :O

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Neopimp link said:
what is behind it getting so hot?
mod a fan up or something?

It was a batch of the 160 Watt units only that were affected. They had mislabeled parts installed in these units which were ultimately rated incorrectly for the power that would be going through them. This causes overheating and melting of part of the board. Oddly enough it is only those who run the white side at 100% for any continuous amount of time.