Mechanical Test Equipment

Janice

Does anyone use pinpoint or Hanna Instruments test equipment? I am so anal when it comes to test results I hate having to eyeball a colour and guess at my level of anything. I like precision. Any suggestions?

Nighthawk26

I use the Hanna tester for DKH Alk. I have cross referenced it with salifert and it is pretty much spot on. I also use one for Phosphate. It is evidently accurate as well, but I cannot confirm personally as I have GHA pretty good at the moment and it registers 0. Clearly P04 is NOT 0, but algae is consuming it. I have the regular one, the 713, not the ULR (ultra low range). Don't bother with the Cal. It is universally understood to be utterly useless.

Beyond that, you could look at the iDip.

SpongeAl

I also use the ULR Phosphorus Hanna, I too find it to be consistent and corresponds to what I observe in the tank.
The ULR checker gives results in parts per billion phosphorus, so I just multiply my result by 3.066 then divide that by a thousand to give the more common parts per million phosphate parameter that people usually refer to.

A Milwaukee digital refractometer is another favorite of mine.

Canadianeh

I am using Idip and they are still continuously improving. If I had to do it all over again, I would wait to buy Idip.

How about Hanna for Magnesium? Accurate?

SpongeAl

Unfortunately not all testing can be done by the hobbyist without specialty colorimeters and chemicals etc.

Basically you just got to pick the best device/test kit you can afford for the specific parameter.

I don't test for mag at the moment, but on occasion I test for alk and calcium and find the API liquids satisfactory for this.

For phosphate we need a really sensitive colorimeter, fortunately the Hanna ULR mentioned in this thread works pretty good, is reasonably priced but you do have to buy packets of reagents for it. So the Hanna ULR is great, but you would have to research their other checkers to see if they work equally well with their particular elements to see if they justify the cost vs more traditional dipsticks and liquids.

http://hannainst.com/products/checker-colorimeters.html

Canadianeh

So Hanna for Alk is great and spot on.

Just need for the other two Cal and Mag.

Soo hard being a bit of color blind :(

SpongeAl

With API calcium test (liquid) the colour change happens within a drop or two, IMO it is sufficient for a calcium test, you are not actually required to distinguish shades.