mo fo heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
what started out as a great day turned into one of the worst ever.

Picked up two saragassum triggers today.
got them home into my QT/temp home until my DT is moved and re set up.
Floated them, dripped them, let them out.  They were swimming around as happy as could be.  already coming to the surface looking for food.
Figured since this is going to be more than just a qt i should put some rock in to give them some hiding places and something to play in.
Went to my old house to get some from my DT.  Got there to find a very very cold tank.  Heater was off.  Everything in it was dead.
Im quite upset about this.  But i carry on and remove the fish pack up some rock to take to my new house.
I get home to find out that the heater in my QT didnt shut off and this tank is fricking hot as hell... and i have two dead triggers.

WTF is going on??

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
sucks sucks sucks

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it again sort of stresses the value of a tank controller.... if my DT went cold it would have e-mailed and txtd me when it hit 76deg and if it got too hot it would have killed power to the outlet the heater was on (and e-mailed me too).

I do feel bad, having 2 tanks turn on you sucks big time. 

spyd

Super Active Member
Damn Dave!!! That sucks big time. I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how excited you were over those triggers!

I run 3 x 250w heaters on my tank just in case one craps out, there is all ways a back-up. As for the tank being too hot, I would definitely run some heaters off a controller of some sort so that cant happen. I have all 3 heaters connected to my Apex Jr controller and then also have the heaters manually set to my ideal temp so incase one malfunctions, there is all ways a back-up way to prevent over heating.

chuckm

No fun!

Always try to get a quality heater, seen many cheaper models boil their fish. won't mention brand names
I like ebo jager-solid construction and reliable.

Not saying they are perfect but when one of mine did go, it just shut down, not over-heat... :-\

davesolo29

Super Active Member
mine are both jagers. 
i think they are ehiem jager now tho.  i loved the old ebo ones.  wish they still made them.

i used to use the marineland stealth heaters.  found them unreliable.  temp always fluctuated.

Status
Not open for further replies.