Modify Aquasafe Ro

cyberloach

I've had an aquasafe unit for about year and i've been plagued with problem in my salt water tank. Im going to restart my tank and this time I want to get it right.
So I'm wondering if I can "modify" my aquasafe unit or do I get another unit?

I've got a few factures to deal with:
-I have a 38 Gal salt water tank no sump
-I just found out my city uses chloramine
-I grow thousands of orchids and I need 3-4 gal a day of "clean" water, it doesnt have to be as clean saltwater tds 10-20 is fine

I'd rather only have the one RO unit but if that doesnt make sense so be it.
I was thinking of dump RO water into the orchid reservoir and only running the DI on the saltwater reservoir

Whats the best one stop shopping place to get high quality RO, I seem to be able to find units but then not appropriate chloramine filters.
I should add that I have a old Maxwater unit I could repurpose for the orchids

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I'm not sure what the exact question is.

Do you think your RODI is what is causing your tank problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Chlorine/chloramine kills the membrane so it must be removed prior to the membrane, BRS sells chloramine carbon blocks or you can use catalytic activated carbon to remove the chlorimine.
You can then take a feed for the orchids off the system prior to the DI resin.

cyberloach

I guess I was ready on another site that there could be copper or brass in the aquasafe units.

The tank issues are mostly my noobness. Lots of mistakes. But my ro water has been getting worst. 0ppm when I first got it and now at 20ppm

RWH

Have you replaced any of the filter cartridges in the Aquasafe since you purchased it?
I would also contact Aquasafe directly and inquire about the chloramine filter.

cyberloach

I've replaced them with the extra filter it came with but from my readings they are completely the wrong kind. 5m sediment 5m gac 1m ccb and three 3 horizontal DI