moray eel

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleymike

Super Active Member
ok anyone on here a moray eel expert. I just found a good deal on a hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel.
But how sooon can you put one in a new tank. Are they pretty hardy.
Was going too get a snowflake, and still probably will. But this one is less than half what they usually sell for.
Dont know much about this one, but they are cool looking.
thanks
Mike

harleymike

Super Active Member
My son wants one really bad. Thats why i was looking at the snowflake. They are pretty harmless and can be kept with most fish.
This other one is quite mean looking.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I think they have a pretty good bite on them too, and I think they will eat all your hermits and snails.... I dunno, I see a lot of tanks and rarely see eels unless the tank is dedicated, and to me, that would be boring as hell :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
My son wants one really bad. Thats why i was looking at the snowflake. They are pretty harmless and can be kept with most fish.
This other one is quite mean looking.

looking online they are still good to go with fish, I watch a tank full of damsels and the eel did look to be checking them out but wasn't eating them and it was a big one.. I would imagine same sort of stuff applies to these guys like other eels, they need lots of hiding places, some people build tunnels with PCV and bury them in the sand or in the rocks for them.

check out the teeth on that guy.. if you do get one make sure to add a cleaner shrimp.. that's a pretty cool relationship they seem to have.

Dragon Eel being cleaned by Skunk Shrimp

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
I think they have a pretty good bite on them too, and I think they will eat all your hermits and snails.... I dunno, I see a lot of tanks and rarely see eels unless the tank is dedicated, and to me, that would be boring as hell :)

I was just over a Dales in sarnia and he has a predator tank, theres only an eel and a lion fish, watching them devour shrimp pieces was pretty neat, just add a bunch of cheap chromis and damsels to keep them on their toes.. lol

harleymike

Super Active Member
Wow. Thats a cool video. There is one for sale on kijji. Those dragon eels usually go for around a grand.
This one is at 500 with a tank. OBO.
So i am tempted.
But not sure yet, if they can go in a newly established tank, or need a more mature tank too keep them helathy.
Still looking into everything.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I used to own a 3ft zebra eel for a bit, ate table shrimp outta my hand :p
It's kinda like having a snake as pet it's quite boring, but they are cool to feed.
They will bite, hurts a wee bit too, if there's a really slow moving fish they will nip at them,

I actually gave mine for credit to family pet centre in tillsonburg, he keeps it in his predator tank with two huge leopard groupers, trigger, lion fish, and the biggest, ugliest looking toadfish you have ever seen :p

harleymike

Super Active Member
hmmm hearing alot of people say boring.
Might have too rethink the whole idea.
I dont want too go through all this and then sit here and think. " wow this friggin sucks"..lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Don't mean to rain on your parade but they kinda just sit/lay in the hideouts until they eat ... They don't swim
Much and eat alot.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
Wow. Thats a cool video. There is one for sale on kijji. Those dragon eels usually go for around a grand.
This one is at 500 with a tank. OBO.
So i am tempted.
But not sure yet, if they can go in a newly established tank, or need a more mature tank too keep them helathy.
Still looking into everything.

i saw one on kijiji from that pet store in Windsor, they change their names so much, or could possibly be like 5 stores in one building I dunno, But I strongly suggest u steer clear from there. I've been to that store once and besides the smell coming from the place that you can actually smell from outside, whats inside almost made me sick too, I don't think I saw one healthy fish in the place, most were covered in ich, all the clowfish were loosing their orange and floating on their sides.. all the corals were dying or dead. I've never seen such poor husbandry or anything quite like it before anywhere.. lol

harleymike

Super Active Member
starting too sound like they are a lot of work for nothing. I want too enjoy it also.
I will keep looking into it, maybe a change in plans is doming.
Any suggestions on some fish for a predator tank.

J

jones02

Sealife have like a 3 foot eel in there 500g mixed reef tank. I fed it a couple times by hand, its pretty neat! I made a big section in my sump for an eel one day after I get my tank running better. I know of someone else that has an eel in there sump also but If you want it for a show tannk I think it would be pretty borinng.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
jones02 link said:
Sealife have like a 3 foot eel in there 500g mixed reef tank. I fed it a couple times by hand, its pretty neat! I made a big section in my sump for an eel one day after I get my tank running better. I know of someone else that has an eel in there sump also but If you want it for a show tannk I think it would be pretty borinng.
We have a 3 ft zebra moray in our 1000 gallon "shark tank"  They are pretty cool.  We cant hand feed this one as our striped dogface puffer would take my fingers off.

When I had my old 75 gallon I had  2 ft snowflake and it was awesome. Would take food out of my fingers no problem. Well he did grab me once and I ended up with a smashed glass lid as I pulled my arm out of the tank lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
There are cool predator fish, groupers triggers, etc. I personal love the voletal ? (not sure how to spell) lion fish, and the harlequin tusk fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.