Moving bio-pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reeffreak

Hey guys for all you pellets user I have a quick question. As of right now im running a tlf 150 almost full to the titts with pellets I was wondering if I swap the pellets into a tlf 550 will there be an issues ? Will I be disrupting the cycle the pellets run if I move them to another reactor ?

J

jones02

I was reading that the 150 works better then the 550 for pellets?

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

I've added 500 ml of  ecobak pellets when I first set the tank up. The container says use 1000 ml for 200 gallons, I used half of that amount on my 75 DT + 35 gallon sump.

The plan was to swap them right over to the 550 and put back online so I can't see it taking any more then a couple minutes to do. I get a good tumble in the 150 but I thought that it would maybe be better in the 550 for tumble, also I could add more pellets to the reactor also. How do I figure out if more pellets should be added, not topped up but more added to the reactor. Is there such thing as overloading on pellets, can a excessive amount of pellets be harmful or would it act just the same ad having t proper amount ?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
im only planning on running 250ml, im hoping that's enough for my setup, I already have low nitrates and phospates

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

I hooked mine up 3 days into the tank cycle and added as much of the pellets that were recommended. I just did a phosphate reading and p04 is high sitting at .125 which is crazy my nitrates are on the decline and on the low end of the spectrum. I have done a small water change after the ammonia dropped but plan on doing a bigger WC this weekend. I'm running a brs dual reactor with rowa and carbon but the reactor was a waste of money, water barely runs threw the reactor with a mj 1200 pump it just trickles out of the output so I may just remove the carbon and see if I get a better flow threw the rowa.

spyd

Super Active Member
I found the same thing with the BRS reactor. It needs a Mag 3 hooked up to it to keep the GFO tumbling. If I didn't all ready have the dual reactor, I would go with seperate reactors for each. Do you have the older style canisters or the newer versions with the slits on the bottom of them? I found a big difference the instant I switched to the newer models. They allow for a lot more flow.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Moving bio-pellets

I hooked mine to a hammerhead.... Sort of works... May need a larger pump...

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

Mines the newer version but I dislike it very much I need to figure something out soon , I need to get on top of my high phosphates so I can start moving all my sps frags into the display right now there in another system.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
maybe ditch the carbon and run a smaller amount of GFO in both reactors?

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

Could be a possibility duke good call , sucks cause I could have just bought one reactor now I may have to use te dual with Gfo in each chamber

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Re: Moving bio-pellets

ya that's not a very good fix but it might work for you, either that or use a bigger pump, or t off your return. I bet its the carbon that's restricting the flow. or take it apart and make them single brs reactors.

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

I will most likely take the dual apart and use just one of them and see if that makes any difference

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
your mj1200 should be strong enough to run the brs dual reactor, as I had success for over a year, no issues. Are the screens clean and free from debris? Something might be blocking the flow?

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

I just ordered it 2 weeks ago, took both sponges out in second chamber and the top one of the first chamber. Still same issues.

R

reeffreak

Moving bio-pellets

When I had my old tank I used their older version dual never had issues , this new one has huge sponges in them

Status
Not open for further replies.