My 65 Gallon *this tank is no longer with us*

F

Fraggle Rock

I bought this System used late September of last year its had plumbing issues and what not.
Mag 7 on my Skimmer was burnt out and ran crappy.

Also when I bought it the overflow drained into filter floss that was just clipped onto the tank ???
So I DIY'd a new overflow filter out of an old Aquaclear filter pad that I cut into slices.
Can remove it very quickly to clean and reuse.

Been battling Hair algae since just before i upgraded from a 40 gallon breeder.
So I bought an RO/DI filter and Started doing manual removal just before my constant water changes.

Keeping my Halide off as its not really needed for my minimal amount of coral I have right now.
(Not too concerned about coral growth right now, I just want the Algae gone)

Anyways I could Ramble on all night about it, but i don't want to bore you to death. (As it's no TOTM)
So here's some specs and pics.

P.S. Feel free to ask me questions about the tank or criticize, Just don't be Hatin or I'll cry. :'(
All pictures taken today

65gal Tank 36x18x24
20gal Sump
35 to 40 pounds of fiji live (yeah, yeah, i need more i know)
70 to 80 pound Deep Sand Bed anywhere from glass level to Three and a half inches
Mag 7 return pump
ETSS Reef Devil Skimmer powered by a Marineland 4500 (1175gph) utility pump
2 Koralia 4's and a Koralia 3
Emperor 400 biowheel (I only keep this on the tank to keep it cycled for Quarantine)
DIY Freshwater top off
SE 250 watt metal halide 1400k (not in service atm)
2 39watt actinic blue T5's

Sal.      1.023
PH        8.4
Dkh      8 to 10
Cal.      405

Livestock
2 False Percs

F

Fraggle Rock

Re: My 65 Gallon

Ok so heres where I'm at...

After countless hours of removing hair algae and a massive amount of water changes, I decided it was time to flip my Rocks.
Unfortunately I lost all my Coral due to ammonia building up from the hair algae die off and lack of light.
I didn't have much to lose so I was willing to take that risk.
Clowns are doin fine, pods and inverts are doin fine. Just the coral died.
In the long run I'm ok with this as it will give me a fresh start as to what I want to do coral wise.
Still a bit of algae left, going to see if I can stomp it out over the next couple weeks.
In the meantime heres a couple pics. (remember I'm just working with the extremely low budget I have atm.)

lewis844

GHA can be a real downer in this hobby i knnow i struggled with it when i first started out

a few things that really helped me out are a sea hare and a yellow tang the sea hare first to get rid of it then the yellow tang to maintain it

J

jerryvan

Hello--I also had ha in my 120. It was so thick my LR was green. I could not get rid of after 10-12 months of trying so what I did was took out my clams and loose corals and put in a seperate tank. I shut my lights off and covered with a tarp for 28 days(I was desperate). The only time my tank saw light was when I feed my fish. Like I said I was sick of this stuff. After the 28 days it was gone and never came back. The surprising thing was I lost corals that I took out but lost very few in the 120.-----Jerry

F

Fraggle Rock

Re: My 65 Gallon (new Pics)

Well heres some new pics of my tank, Not alot going on as my fish are in hospital tank awaiting our move to Woodstock.
(I'll throw in some QT pics)
I beat my hair algae problem. Had a bunch on one rock that turned out to be Some sort of bryopsis, So I just left that one flipped hiding in the dark. Hasn't made an attempt to spread so I think I'm safe. (for now...)

Sucks when you just get everything working well then you end up moving...

Anyways heres some new pics...

F

Fraggle Rock

Oh yeah forgot to mention that's a 9w LED light on my QT I picked up from wall mart, Paid $25 for it.  4100k 7 LED's says 35ma but I think it's more like 350ma made by Lights of America.

F

Fraggle Rock

Well I'm all moved to Woodstock so this tank is no more! (kinda glad was a headache at the start ::) )
Moved everything into a 20 Gallon tank, will post some picks as soon as I find my USB cord.
I plan on redoing this tank sometime in the near future. Building a new stand, 40 gal sump, new lights (not sure what kind yet?), DIY Chiller, new Live Rock, Ect.
Will post the build as soon as it gets underway.