My allens damsels laid eggs!

msteane

I noticed that one of my allens damsels was picking at something inside of his clam shell 'cave' and apon closer inspection I discovered that the inside of the shell was covered in eggs. Here are some pics and a couple videos of him (or her) tending to them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-HkTBq56Fw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkYcXq0F_OM[/youtube]

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
thats neat though, you seem to have a track record with these breeding things, it was you with the cleaner shrimp as well right?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
She must be doing many of the needed things correctly. Awesome indeed, thanks for the videos :)

msteane

Yes, that me who had the cleaner shrimp eggs too.  Apparently the 'correct things' include doing water changes only about once a month and not being super regimented about when I change my filter/reactor media :p.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I think it would go something like this for me: "ooohhh cooool, the fish are breeding!!"  and then "ooohhhh craaaaaap it's damsels"  :)

Unlike clownfish eggs, those tough little bastards will likely figure out a way to survive!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I think it would go something like this for me: \"ooohhh cooool, the fish are breeding!!\"  and then \"ooohhhh craaaaaap it's damsels\"  :)

Unlike clownfish eggs, those tough little bastards will likely figure out a way to survive!

Haha made me laugh, yea they prob will find a way to survive

msteane

Haha, luckily allens damsels are a lot less aggressive than most damsels (which is the only reason they're allowed in my tank).  The claim a little 'cave'... in this case one claimed the clam shell and will keep other fish out of their cave.  However, out in the rest of the tank they don't bother the other fish.  My banggai cardinal is more aggressive than these guys (although he is a big old grumpy bangaii cardinal).

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
if you could raise the fry i think the chatham stores would buy em all,the one claims it is his best seller and seems to always have em (damsels in general) probably because they are so resilient to not so perfect waters