My DIY 180 Display

S

stellarflare

Hi all, I drilled my tank & built a coast to coast overflow with a emergency standpipe, a full siphon standpipe, and a open channel standpipe. Then I drilled the return. I then built a algae scrubber and I am now building the canopy. So here are some pictures of my setup so far. Hope you enjoy the pics.

025-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

046.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

001.jpg

001-Copy.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Update: crazybizzle has brought to my attention that the below image is a Quote :
" kill those mojave anemones/glass anemones/aiptasia before they start spreading.trust me"
008-1.jpg

Thank you crazybizzle for that info my friend

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

S

stellarflare

Hi DJ, Thank you my friend, for your kind words. I really appreciate you commenting on my journey into reef keeping. This is my first time and I respect everyone here on the Reef Tank Forum. My fresh water friend here has been giving me the look lately. If you know what I mean. lol  :eek:

020-1.jpg

Thanks again  ;) :)

Brian

F

fishit

hey vary nice set up buddy to kill the aptesia [spelling]? use a hypodermic needle with pure lemon juice and stab them right in the stem or the mouth good luck but the tank looks great you may need some more rock though just remember 1 lb pr gal of water at the vary least

S

shayneh

.....or use vinegar (another acid) that won't foul the water!

S

stellarflare

Hi fishit and shayneh, Thank you for your compliments, :) ;) and guidance on getting rid of, as what I have been told look identical to Mojave anemones. Thank you for giving me your guidance on what methods you both would use. Yes I do need more live rock. I am now in the process of making my own and also purchasing more. I am setting up holding tanks for this process to be fulfilled. I am going in two DIY routes on making my own rock. One route is making them out of Aragonite and crushed oyster shell and White Portland cement. My other DIY route is ceramic rock. I have a kiln to fire the porous clay to vitrification ( Bisque ) It always seems that it takes forever doing it in a DIY way but the savings are huge. I am always eager to read and here your opinions about this reefing hobby we so greatly love. Thanks again for your support.

Brian

F

Fraggle Rock

Good job on the Algae scrubber, looks really well put together. What size of pump are you running it with?

S

stellarflare

Fraggle Rock link said:
Good job on the Algae scrubber, looks really well put together. What size of pump are you running it with?
Hi Fraggle Rock, Thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate you commenting on my DIYing.
I am using a closed circuit little Giant 4-MDQX-SC, Magnetic Drive,1"FNPT Input, 1"MNPT Discharge1225GPH @3ft
I am also using a pond pump that the writing has faded away but I figure it is pump at 600GPH for the Algae Scrubber my friend, Thanks again for your compliments. It means a lot to me when it seems. I build things that are unconventional or questionable, but I have my DIY reasons for doing so. Thank you and I am more than eager to make friends with everybody on TheFragTank Forum

Brian

S

stellarflare

ricklalonde link said:
I'm pretty sure that these are really bleached out Yuma Ricordeas and one might be a Discosoma Mushroom.

Hi Rick, Thank your for pointing out and identifying these sps. I know that when the live rock was introduced to my tank there was no indication of their existence They have grown from nothing on the rock to be now at 3weeks growth. If you are suggesting that I move them lower in the tank I will my friend and your guidance is greatly appreciated in my learning experience. Thank you over and over my friend.

Brian

C

Cal_stir

the aptasia in the photo looks like a plate coral to me, google plate coral images before you kill it, if you haven't already

C

Cal_stir

I could be  wrong, my wife thinks it's a curly cue anenome, I just googled it and I think she is correct

S

stellarflare

Cal_stir link said:
the aptasia in the photo looks like a plate coral to me, google plate coral images before you kill it, if you haven't already

Hi Cal_stir, Thank you for commenting on my tank and no I have not killed them because I figured they were some type of sps.
What was brought to my attention was:

008-1.jpg

Quote: looks identical to Mojave anemones, there cool looking but will kill corals fast and like to spread everywhere quick.

So I did get rid of what was in the top picture.

But these sps are doing pretty good considering they were non existent to me on that live rock when I put it in the Tank 3 Weeks ago

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

So thank you for taking the time to respond to me on what you think they are in the pictures. Thank you and the Mrs for your opinions. I will continue to research what they are with your help which I really appreciate. Thank you my friend.