My Seahorse Cube And Babies

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Well after some fun welding together 3/8" thick plexi glass i now have this beauty to enjoy in my livingroom complete with a sump attached to back of tank with room for floss, skimmer, chaeto and return pump total cost for build $350 ohhh yeah
[attachment=4618]

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
How many gallons? Looks great, and for $350 to set up with lights and everything, that is great. Looks like you are going to dabble in seahorses. Completely jealous.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Poseidon said:
Lol good work but you could get a bio cube for that haha

Id like to see you get a 45gal nano with 25 gal sump 2 led bulbs 65 gal skimmer and return pump plus aragonite and live rock for that price lol

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Torx said:
How many gallons? Looks great, and for $350 to set up with lights and everything, that is great. Looks like you are going to dabble in seahorses. Completely jealous.

Its a 45gal tank with a 25 gal sump attached to back and yes gonna brave up and attempt sea horses wil be a fun experience

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
scubasteve said:
Poseidon said:
Lol good work but you could get a bio cube for that haha

Id like to see you get a 45gal nano with 25 gal sump 2 led bulbs 65 gal skimmer and return pump plus aragonite and live rock for that price lol

Hehe, I've been wheeling and dealing for to long :p

But I did think it was a bit smaller then 45 g so I'll give you that.
And of course it's exactly how you want it so you can't beat that, are you going to put sea horses in it ?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Hehe, I've been wheeling and dealing for to long :p

But I did think it was a bit smaller then 45 g so I'll give you that.
And of course it's exactly how you want it so you can't beat that, are you going to put sea horses in it ?
[/quote]

Yes im going to put seahorses in it so it is a low flow..... gotta get me some brownie points after buying 2 acro colonies and a milli and digi frag or wife will have me on the couch lol. Plus for this build i lucked out i got 4-3/8" thick acrylic sheets 30"x55" for 45 a peice which is one hell of a deal considering 4x8 is 200... aside from building sh tank i also built my sump for my 125 gal dead silent all i can hear is slight bubbles popping and my reef octopuss

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Will definately post pics when the ponies arrive and because i cured all my rock myself before hand and used live gravel from the 65gal i tore down and after a thorough rinse with aquarium water it was done cycling after a week and barely even registered on my water tests just put a few zoa frags in, a feather duster and some gsp to help keep parameters stable everything seems to be happy despite the cooler temperature. It is hypnotizing watching the slow and ever gentle sway of the chains :) but heres the zoas i put in

Overview
[attachment=4622]

The kedd redd and purple mambas
[attachment=4623]

And a shared plug with rustic reds and purple fission and the feather duster
[attachment=4624]

Eagle eye were just opening will add it later seams to be it and the gsp taking a bit adjusting to the temp change

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
tadaa
20140621_155707.jpg 20140621_155715.jpg 20140621_155733.jpg 20140619_160229.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well have had it running for a while feather duster still kicking and surprisingly zoas and gsp doing well considering tank is 72 degrees cleanup crew is keeping everything in order water is nice and stable. all goes well and the seahorses will be arriving shortly..... added some scraps of trim to dress it up a bit more not much i can do bout skimmer on back but oh well
20140821_144229.jpg 20140821_144132.jpg

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Looking great. They will love their new home. What kind of lighting do you have on there? Is there any UV component to them at all? The only reason I'm asking is that I put a few of the babies in with my adults the other day and the little girls are turning pale instead of black. On the fry tank I only have a fluorescent light but on the adult tank I put two plant grow lights from Home depot. I'm not sure if its the color of the decorations I have or the difference in the light but it's nice to see these little girls turning light like their mother.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Looking great. They will love their new home. What kind of lighting do you have on there? Is there any UV component to them at all? The only reason I'm asking is that I put a few of the babies in with my adults the other day and the little girls are turning pale instead of black. On the fry tank I only have a fluorescent light but on the adult tank I put two plant grow lights from Home depot. I'm not sure if its the color of the decorations I have or the difference in the light but it's nice to see these little girls turning light like their mother.

i have 2 par38 led bulbs on it at the moment should be good for them gives decent yet not intense lighting but have an old fluorescent kicking around just in case. Had some real calurpa but it didnt fair so well and never made it out of qt (pretty sure it had something) but may add some fake ones for the time being