Need Experts Help, New To The Hobby!

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
Hello! I am a 16 year old that is new to SW and would like to build a 3.5 gallon pico reef. I know it will be hard, but its all i am allowed at the moment. I don't want any fish, but just a simple cleaner crew. I would like a variety of corals that are easy to take care of, bright and colourful. I have gathered a ton of information already from multiple sources. I would like someone to clarify my remaining questions and share their tips with me! I am limited on the amount of money I can spend and already have a lot of the equipment I would like picked out.
Thank you so much!:)

Last edited:

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome to tft.. there is a wealth of information on this sire,, if you have a specific question I would suggest that you post it " general discussion" and you will get some great advise and answers..

Kman

Super Active Member
What are you thinking of keeping coral wise? I would stick to the easier corals and stay away from sps. Look at softcorals, zoes, mushrooms etc. What lights are you looking at getting? What hardware do you have?

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
What are you thinking of keeping coral wise? I would stick to the easier corals and stay away from sps. Look at softcorals, zoes, mushrooms etc. What lights are you looking at getting? What hardware do you have?
I would definitely stick to the softies! I don't have any hardware yet, just a cylindrical acrylic tank.
This is the light i was thinking about. http://www.amazon.com/ABI-Aquarium-Light-450-470nm-15000K/dp/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432255261&sr=8-1&keywords=ABI LED Aquarium Light
This salt: http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/saltwat...-catid-300012?var_id=36-32188&_t=pfm=category

Kman

Super Active Member
Look for some par38 bulbs they will work well. Not sure if those you just linked are the same. The salt will work as well.

Kman

Super Active Member
Yes it will be difficult. If you keep the bio load light you can keep thing balanced better. Even then you have to upkeep on maintenance.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
If you watch on here you'll normally see some 30-40 gallon tank only sales for $50 or less...would be easier to maintain that size tank imo

dale

im thinkin what you have/suggesting will prob b fine,,, change a cup of water every 2 days and youll b good.. your calcium n stuff wont change much with just softies, even if you get an lps , changing water with reef crystals you would be fine.. monitor salinity, and nitrate.. the light your looking at looks pretty blue, a lot of people like that..

SamB

Super Active Member
Started my first SW reef tank in a 10 gal - not sure if that counts as pico or not
Zoa, Acans and candy canes all doing well
Yellow clown goby and 2 blood shrimp
WC once a week (10%)

I took my time and researched everything that I could
Once the tank stabilized, it became very little maintenance

Great forum here with lots of helpful reefers - good luck !