Need some help with my LEDs

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So I'm having some issues with my DIY LED build.

I followed the directions properly, rechecked all my connections, tested all the LEDs, played with the dimmer but the darn thing wont light up when plugged in. Both strings only light up a teeny tiny bit.

I don't have a multimeter  :(

Any suggestions? I know its probably something simple that I'm just not seeing.

xxmurrxx

Might need a meter, if its like the meanwell dimmable drivers you have to set the current output in the driver.

Not sure if they are the same as the drivers you got just an idea

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I would take a piece if wire and go down the string and jumper one led out at a time.  You could jumper one and it will light everything up. 

Just touch the wire to the two opposite pads on the led star

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Your drivers are adjusted low from the factory.. U need a multi meter.. If u want to eye it.. Lol there's a screw inside the driver that needs adjustment..

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Also did u get adjustable drivers? One needs a 10v plug for dimming.. One doesnt

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
So you added the pot onto the extra 2 dimming wires?

You will have to open it up and adjust the pot in the driver also..

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
The d driver needs a power source to dim iirc.. You can just wire a 10v dc plug to it and it will be full intensity.. Try this.. Use your batter tester and hook it up to the dimming wires.. You will get 3v so they should be at about 33%.on with the batteries

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
You still need to do this too.. But it's not going to be the issue.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
did you get a manual tester with the kit?  That holds a couple of AA batteries?  Make sure all the LEDs are good and correct polarity, then yeah it's all in the dimming circuit and the driver. 

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I'm still waiting to borrow my friends multimeter but I'm pretty sure you cant open up the drivers that I have. There is no obvious way to open them without actually busting the plastic case.

I spent some more time cleaning up any potentially bad connections. I've double triple quadruple checked the polarity.

I'm still not 100% sure have the pot connected properly. The pot has 3 possible places to connect. There are no "+" or "-" symbols marked on it. I have the same pots that are in the picture below.

48_LEDs_kit__75304_zoom.JPG

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Duke link said:
The d driver needs a power source to dim iirc.. You can just wire a 10v dc plug to it and it will be full intensity.. Try this.. Use your batter tester and hook it up to the dimming wires.. You will get 3v so they should be at about 33%.on with the batteries

I'm not sure how to do this?? sorry man this electronical stuff if over my head  :?.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, multimeter is needed. Mine were dimmed almost off when I got them. You will know a lot more once you tweak the drivers. I have a multimeter, or 3 or 4 of them as I keep loosing them when I need one so I just buy a new ones. But a little bit of a drive for you. They are only about $20-$30 at crappy tire.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
DIM + (Blue)
DIM - (White)

See the pic for my pods and where the positive and negative are.

Red and Black wires from those set of 4 should go to the LEDs +V(Red) -V(Black)
Blue and white go to the pods DIM + (Blue) and DIM - (White)