Neo's 120gal Display - Basement Sump

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Well I figured it was about time I posted some pics of my set up for people to look at.  Anyways, we can start at the beginning.  I got into marine fish tanks after moving from Stratford to Sarnia.  I just converted my 46 Gallon Bowfront to salt water.  I went out and bought a bunch of rock and equipment on kijiji including a Remora Pro HOB skimmer, Tek5 6 bulb T5 fix(Thanks Phi) and a bunch of other random equipment. 

Anyways with the wealth of info out there I ended up with a tank that looked like this.  You cant see it but there is almost 6" of sand in places.  It was enough tot put 1.5" down in the new 120 gallon tank :)

Image_3723.jpg

I had two clowns in there for no more than a month before I decided to upgrade to a larger tank.

So the kijiji watch began.  This was before I knew fragtank.ca even existed or I probably woudla grabbed a tank from someone here.  The spot where the tank was going to go was the same as where the 46 sat, but woudl fill out the area more.  I needed as large a tank as possible.  I thought of going 6' but there is a thermostat on the wall that would be covered by a tank that size so that led me to the 5' x 18 x 24 tank.

I can be a little impatient and probably should have waited longer until a better deal came up but i didn't :) I found a tank in St.Thomas that came with a stand, a large Eheim Canister, some air pumps, and a miracles light fixture.  for 450 bucks.

There are some scratches on it that I did not see at the time of pick up, oh well.  The original plan was to put in a typical under stand sump but the way the stand was designed did not allow for that.  So it gave me the excuse to turn this set up into something more fun.  BASEMENT SUMP:)

No noise no equipment no messy maintanence upstairs:)

There was an opening to the utility room already:)
IMG_2796.jpg

Is it a bad idea to run plumbing through the cold air return ducts.... probably. Did I do it anyways, of course.  Helps keep the temp down in the tank too :)

So Step one was to drill the tank.  I oringinally went with a bean animal type set up with 1" lines.  Well I would find out later that I had already messed up on step one.  If you are putting in a Bean or Herbie go with 1.5" lines, or larger if needed.  At least that applies if you want to move mroe than 900ish gallon per hour.  I wont get into the High Flow Sump vs Low Flow Sump, thats up to you to figure out.

You can pick up Diamond Glass hole saws from MOST princess autos, or order them online.  I suggest to get some clamps, a piece of plywood for backing, a jig of some sort to start and a water flow.  Oh and a corded drill is useful, I had to charge my drill completely between each hole.

IMG_0133.jpg

Next was the overflow box. I decided to go with the coast to coast type internal oveflow.  Picked up some glass and had it cut to make roughly a 3.5" square box.  The overflow box is 50 inches long and it skms the surface very well.

IMG_0136.jpg

I put a couple coats of black paint on the back of the tank and have no regrets.  After the paint had dried I installed the plumbing on the tank and was left with this.

IMG_2795.jpg

More to Come

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Re: Neo's 120gal Build In Progress

The next part of this money pit was what do i need to get water from down there to up here.  Well the simple answer is one big ass pump and a bunch of tube.  Well I bought a big ass pump that eneded up being too much for my one inch drains.  The pump I ended up choosing was a Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid from Reeflo.

I got the standard version and found it did the job well, too well.  I also found that the pump motor ran very hot.  It was hot enough that I could not keep my hand on the pump for 5 seconds with out really wanting to move my hand.

Is that normal? I am not really sure, they told me that they will run at 120F.  It does nto matter to me any more since the original pump I had blew a bearing in the motor and was replaced by Reeflo.  They sent me a new replacement pump and asked that I ship the other one back.  I ended up paying for the return shipping.  BUT instead of the standard Hammerhead, they sent me this beasty.

IMG_0205.jpg

ITS THE GOLD VERSION!!!!..  This thing runs much more quiet, less vibration, and WAY less heat generated.

The original plumbing did not clear the case covering the capacitors so instead of redoing 50bucks worth of of plumbing I just took the cover off :)

This pump will push almost 6000GPH at 0'.  For my application I have about 12-15' of head total which means I am pushing 3000GPH-4000GPH through the system wide open.  After I pinch it back some and take into account other factors I am betting I still have just under 2700 GPH running. 

Remember how I said that I made a mistake.  Anyone ever try to run 2700  GPH through a 1" siphon?  Good Luck

Anyways it turns out the pump was way to much for my current Bean Set up which pissed me off because I paid for a big ass pump I am going to get every ounce of flow out of it I can.  With the helpful suggestions and encouraging words of support of Blob and Phi I was able to put more water on the floor in 1 hour than I had in my entire life.  They made suggestions, I went and tried it, I cleaned it up and they sat in the chat room laughing:p

Anyways we did everything we could to get flow up but the pump still ended up being pinched in 1/2 way.  Our main problem was that the siphons were not starting fast enough to keep the tank upstairs from over flowing.  I believe this is in part due to air gettig trapped in the lines, the long runs to the sump, and simply not enough head room in the tank upstairs (Failed Designer). 

The Air Problem wsa solved by a combination of air purge lines up top and "VENTING ON THE BOTTOM" of the stand pipes

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

The airlines are open and allow air to escape the stand pipes for a while.  When the water level rises enough to cover the end of the lines the stand pipes kick into full siphon.  Beans setup only shows this on his open channel drain, I had to do it to all three due to the amount of air that needed to be purged from 30ft of piping

This still wasn;t enough.  I ended up screwing the Emerg drain and make 2 out of the 3 drains into full siphon lines.  Essentially making a Herbie instead.  I also had to remove the elbows on siphons lines in the overflow box to get the siphons started even faster. 

IMG_2918.jpg

When my pump starts up the water will climb in the main tank up and onto the step on the back trim where you set you glass lids and stuff.. There is no room for error :(  I got a video on that later

Heres some shots of my sump room and piping.

IMG_2876.jpg

Piping exitting the Duct.  I used all flex PVC in there.

IMG_2866.jpg

And the Video.
Lets see if this works
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg143/davidolb/120%20Aquarium%20Build/?action=view&current=MVI_2874.mp4

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

I need to get rid of that simple light fixture and get somethign built that I can mount some led fixtures into. 
Here follows an attempt at wood working with manual hand tools. 

I went out and bought some pine 2x2 and 1x2. cut it all up ... messed some things up.. cut some more.. ended up with this for a frame.
IMG_2862.jpg

Covered it in fiberboard and sealed it all up with some polycrylic . I am hoping that it does not absorb moisture or I will have to do the whole thing over again.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

The plan is to build 2 fixtures like this.

Untitled-4.jpg

That will sit on the aluminum angle bar you see in the other pics.... I should be able to slide the light back and forth on the rails when needed... I can also just raise the rails to change the height of the fixture.  We will see how it all works once I get my leds built.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Ya it was pricelss in my build:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

lol, if anyone missed that comment... Keep an eye out in the video.  Think Disney

I had to build my daughter a pair of steps to see what I was doing up high... the table is 4 off the floor

S

Siderjan

Very nice setup. Nice clear video too.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

taken with a point and shoot lol.... Canon S5 IS... worked well

Darryl_V

Super Active Member

Ah....another one with the salt water crazies.  How is your better half handling the remodeling? :)

Very interesting build.....a few mistakes but I gotta say, not too bad considering that you haven't been in the hobby for that long.

I'm very interested in seeing the progress...make sure to keep us posted.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Yup its a learning experience thats for sure :)  But thats what makes it interesting.  I am afraid I will have more fun setting this thing up than I will once its running lol :)

My LEDs shoudl be shipping today or tommorrow :) That is the next step and I shoudl hve my APEX ordered shortly... I coudl wait for the cerebra but due to their lack of showing at MACNA I have my doubts about when this pretty thing will be release and functional.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Thanks... I hope I can carry iot through to my in tank stuff

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

HEATSINKS ARE IN AT THE DEPOT ACROSS THE BORDER AND LEDS ARE ON ROUTE:)

Now I hope I can get them across with out being charged duty

P

phi delt reefer

ask crazy bizzle - hes the smuggling king!  :p

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

LEDS ARE HERE

And I did not pay duty:)

Blob-79

Super Active Member

pretty sure that all cost more then 300 :p must be taking lessons from crazybizzle.....

looks like your all set to go....joker

P

phi delt reefer

Doctored invoices IMO