New 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry this had to happen, just when I was getting ready to come over and grab some frags, lol

Glad to hear that losses should be minimal, but you know as well as I this has just opened up the opportunity for you to start tinkering again.

I will post some pics of my wood stand, I researched for a long time, all based on rocket engineers design on reef central.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
g

photo_zps92d05c39.jpg

photo2_zps385227d6.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I may have to come over and see how yours is set up. I definitely will not have any space behind the tank, but perhaps to one side if I built it into a cabinet or something...but that could look crap.

Corals look like they may all make it. tanksitter dumped fresh water onto my cobalt blue, which has some tissue loss, but it actually may well grow back. Everything else seems limited to browning, which I can likely remedy with trimming, feeding and water changes. I may come out relatively unscathed.

That stand looks kickass, I will likely copy that, maybe even a bit higher as I always felt the tank was "low". Well as long as I have clearance for a better hood. The one I have is cramped :)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I also used rocket engineers plan as a starting point, but since he made compromises to avoid anything other than straight cuts for those who only had basic tools. I added triangulated bracing so that I would not need to rely on plywood sheeting to provide torsional stability

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
teebone110

I heard that duke went away on vacation and i can't remember the exact details whether it was the person looking after his tank or a equipment failure but everything was a total loss and he shut down his tank a few years ago.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I may have to come over and see how yours is set up. I definitely will not have any space behind the tank, but perhaps to one side if I built it into a cabinet or something...but that could look crap.

Corals look like they may all make it. tanksitter dumped fresh water onto my cobalt blue, which has some tissue loss, but it actually may well grow back. Everything else seems limited to browning, which I can likely remedy with trimming, feeding and water changes. I may come out relatively unscathed.

That stand looks kickass, I will likely copy that, maybe even a bit higher as I always felt the tank was "low". Well as long as I have clearance for a better hood. The one I have is cramped :)

Anytime,if your going to build a new kick-ass stand, might as well get a bigger kickass tank too ;)

glad to hear things continue to hold steady

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
teebone110

I heard that duke went away on vacation and i can't remember the exact details whether it was the person looking after his tank or a equipment failure but everything was a total loss and he shut down his tank a few years ago.

He has a boat to. And was never in here the summer when he was on the boat

Too bad he's out, his tank was one of the best. Hope to see Nick back again.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay looks like I have a line on a "CHEAP" pile of glass, that will be drilled for a custom bean animal with 2 full siphon drains, 2 dry drains, and 2 returns. Not sure if I can pull it off or not, but looks hopeful. I may need some of that "free" truss material soon shooter, so be ready :)

reef keeper

Super Active Member
A bean with 2 full active siphons will be very difficult to balance and to have function. It's recommended to use 1 full siphon, 1 siphon with air break, and 1 emerg. I've been using that for a Year now, and did have a dead fish get sucked into the siphon (don't ask). The siphon with air break took over from the siphon line. No prob.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Okay looks like I have a line on a "CHEAP" pile of glass, that will be drilled for a custom bean animal with 2 full siphon drains, 2 dry drains, and 2 returns. Not sure if I can pull it off or not, but looks hopeful. I may need some of that "free" truss material soon shooter, so be ready :)
sounds good bud,let me know bud,

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
A bean with 2 full active siphons will be very difficult to balance and to have function. It's recommended to use 1 full siphon, 1 siphon with air break, and 1 emerg. I've been using that for a Year now, and did have a dead fish get sucked into the siphon (don't ask). The siphon with air break took over from the siphon line. No prob.

I'm going to get some fine adjust valves for the overflows, but worst comes to worse, I can have one shut off completely, and 2 dry backups open full. All these are 1 1/2" pipes so there should be no problem even using just one siphon for 1500gph turnover. I'll mesh over one dry return and leave the other one completely open. If I can get both siphons working at the same time even better, but I had tried that before with a smaller tank, and yeah I couldn't get the two of them balanced for the life of me and they were noisy.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Are you drilling the returns in or going over the top? That's a decision that I am still working on...if I drill I will run through uniseals in the overflow wall.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Any tips on gluing the tank?
I built a few custom showers, such as these: :
start3.jpg

1c.jpg

But all of these panes I got tempered, I don't think I need that on the tank (?), but holding in a gazillion gallons of water is different than holding in shower sprinkles. Just wondering if there's any tips to a good seal?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So a couple of questions here...
Is this upside down? Just wondering as the bottom sheet seems like it would just trap moisture water in case of a flood-mishap, and if it is upside down, the cross members would get in the way of a sump. ?
I like the leg structures though, they look solid. I was thinking of just beefing it up with 4- 4x4s instead of sandwiching pieces but I like the overlap...

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes- I made a mod and removed the bottom bracing

Refer to the following g pic when it's painted white.

This made more vertical height in the sump area a d took away the area for moisture in case of a dump or tank water accident

Status
Not open for further replies.