Attachments

• 20170305_164425_resized.jpg
    20170305_164425_resized.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170305_164435_resized.jpg
    20170305_164435_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

Canadianeh

I understand that you cannot expose starfish to air even for a little bit. How did you put him in without exposing him to air and adding water from the bag into your tank?

prism127

I understand that you cannot expose starfish to air even for a little bit. How did you put him in without exposing him to air and adding water from the bag into your tank?
once i had him acclimated I used a ladle and caught him in it with a little water and added him that way. that way I only added minimal water and he was never exposed to air
I did a slow drip acclimation in a bucket so the water was about 75% tank and 25% from bag to ensure as little bag water as possible

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member

This is one of those bizarre "facts" seem to be perpetuated by hobbyist forums with little basis in researched facts... While it's true that many deep water species would not tolerate being brought to the surface, let alone exposed to air...most near surface reef species and all intertidal zone species are exposed to the air on a regular basis. My fromia stars would often crawl out of the water at least partially and sometimes fully to graze on the algae that grows at the waterline with no ill effects.

I think because so many stars die as an after effect of shipping stresses or malnutrition, people have perpetuated the myth to explain away these deaths.

If anyone knows of scholarly work that suggests otherwise I would be interested...I still have access to most journals.

Dingets

Anyone have recommendations on feeding? Yes they graze off algae from your rocks and glass, but I wonder if they would benefit from target feeding something.

He looks awesome Prism! I look forward to adding one of my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadianeh

Fromia stars are kept as attractive and interesting additions to the tank...the right reason to keep anything!

The same reason why I bought my all of fishes. I was wondering how good Fromia's specific functionality in cleaning detritus compare to Serpent stars.

It is a great looking starfish.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The same reason why I bought my all of fishes. I was wondering how good Fromia's specific functionality in cleaning detritus compare to Serpent stars.

It is a great looking starfish.
Fromia stars are not truly detritus eaters or algae eaters they do consume both but only in as much as they feed on the tiny micro fauna that actually live on those things. Much like the sand sifting stars that everyone puts in their tanks, they gain most of their required nutrients from consuming the tanks supply of micro fauna (small pods, pod larvae etc) that intake is supplemented with food scraps and algae that are ingested along with the tiny creatures they seek. Full sized Fromia stars will take on larger slow moving prey including Asterinas but have no taste for any stinging cnidarians so they will crawl over polyps and corals but will not harm them.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
BTW I am a huge fan of brittle and serpent stars as they are true detritus eaters, active sandbed stirrers and cool looking and active feeders. I have never understood why people would put things like sand sifting stars and conchs both of which prefer microfauna over detritus and will eventually decimate your pod population before starving to death...when cool looking active serpents and brittle are available to actually consume detritus and burrow through the sandbed.
Plus when you feed the fish, the brittle and serpents will emerge and put on a show as well. My Harlequin serpent and red brittle are family favourites sticking out their legs like a herd of sea serpents at feeding time. Just avoid the green serpent or brittle as they become large and are ambush fish killers...opportunistic predators unlike their peaceful cousins.