New Build Sneak Preview Pics!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Well I finally brought my new project home...
P1040920_zpsny8gfmcm.jpg

In the back yard with the sump, ready to be hosed down in preparation for a date with the router, some methylene chloride and a final polish...
P1040925_zpsxq5wn4no.jpg

P1040924_zpszsl2rmwo.jpg

The viewing panels are surprisingly pretty spotless but there is a lot of structural work needed to get to the point of me trusting it with over 300 gallons in my living room. Plus I will be making changes to the overflow and top bracing to suit what I want. The sump will also be reconfigured to be exactly the way I want it...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Wow!

What are the dimensions of that beast?

Sony Xperia Z3
It's 72x48x22 peninsula style. 5 inches on the end is a full side to side overflow so since it is internal I plan to build wave boxes into the overflow space so they don't use any tank space.

Last edited:

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
OK...I know that it has been quite a while since an update but there has been a whole lot of "real life" things going on for me that derailed both the home reno project and the tank. Approaching Christmas means the push is on to reassemble the living room and dining room so some tank work has been done as well...

One thing I discovered is that experience fabricating in steel, aluminum and acrylic doesn't exactly translate into any ability to work with wood....a carpenter I am not...and accepting and working with the imperfections in natural materials is a whole other game...

Anyway...Stand going onto subflooring with flooring going around (This is real commitment! LOL)

DSC04999_zps0wopfmuu.jpg

DSC05001_zpsklftu0tb.jpg

Tank (still far from finished) in place. The top seam had failed previously and upon investigation had very poor weld penetration all around. Rather than attempt to saw the whole thing off, I gradually injected Methylene Chloride into the porous joint while putting pressure on the joint with spreader clamps. Working my way around until the top was removed so that I can machine it and finish it properly or possibly entirely replace the top bracing. This will also give me better access to the inside seams that, although they are fairly good generally, I will be reinforcing with acrylic right angle triangle pieces and Weldon 40.

DSC05003_zpsiujwwcsr.jpg

DSC05005_zpst36khhf4.jpg

...and of course the obligatory Kidfish and Catfish pictures...

DSC05006_zpszjqxrwsc.jpg

DSC05008_zpsifmidjr1.jpg

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
seeing this fills me with fear and awe. If you don't mind answering a few question.

How are you ever going to get anything from the middle of the tank?
Have you planned for humidity in the room and are you going to use a fan and vent?
what is the potential weight with water, sand, rocks?

The thought of that cat falling in once its setup and drowning is giving me anxiety

reef keeper

Super Active Member
That is so crazy it's amazing. Seriously though. I think you need to reinforce the stand. Kinda flimsy..... Hahaha.

Can't wait to see it running!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
seeing this fills me with fear and awe. If you don't mind answering a few question.

How are you ever going to get anything from the middle of the tank?
At 48" wide and only 21" deep since it is a peninsula the bottom centre will be easier to reach than the bottom back of a standard 180gal against a wall. Also since The sump and all equipment will be in the basement I have made the stand 27.5 inches from the flooring to the base of the tank so the tank centre is at eye level when sitting on our sofa and chairs, making it easier to reach into without a stool. Still comfortable with a bit of a bend to look in while standing and allowing real reefers to view from the top down while up close. It is a bit below eye level from our pub height dining table but compromises are inevitable.

Have you planned for humidity in the room and are you going to use a fan and vent?

This tank is replacing my old 180 which did cause some humidity issues in the room until we added a room dehumidifier and improved some attic ventilation. I think that the humidity from the increased tank size will be offset in the upper room by the removal of the sump and skimmer and the change from Halides to hybrid T5/LED lighting. In the basement I will be taking down my 200gal fish and softies system and will be removing the pink insulation and spray foaming the concrete walls in the basement which I am told will make a huge difference in basement humidity and can make further changes there if required. At an overall household level I will also be taking down my last FW tank (a 90gal in the bedroom).
what is the potential weight with water, sand, rocks?

Should be just shy of 3000 pounds. The stand set the tank out a few inches from the wall to allow for painting the wall in future and to catch another joist running perpendicular to the tank. Also a key factor in the placement of the tank which makes our dining area a bit smaller than perfect is the fact that the main load bearing wall in the basement (no beam) runs directly (66/33) under the tank and at that point is supporting only the joists and not the ceiling or roof so most of the tank loading is onto relatively unstressed vertical members.
The thought of that cat falling in once its setup and drowning is giving me anxiety
Another one of our cats (the bad one LOL) once jumped off the top of a bookshelf onto the top of the bedroom 90gal in the middle of the night. Shattered the glass top, swam across...climbed out at the side nearest the bed and scooted (soaking wet) under the covers as we were waking up having heart attacks!!!

Once the sand and rockwork are in the tank all of our cats will easily be able to climb out on the rocks and in a bit of time when my huge magnificent colonies are breaking the surface with their many growth tips, the only consequence of a feline incursion will be the prompting of a big frag sale!!! LOL

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Great answers, even better that you have everything planned out. too bad its so close to the wall. If it was in the center of the room you could have had just the top of a pool table on hydraulics in the ceiling and the lights on the underside of the pool table for the tank and then you could lower the pool table over the tank and have a game. If you had a ping pong table you could put it on top of the pool table for games and even use it for a extra large dinning table.

My parents just had regular pool table and a ping pong table top and at Christmas our large family would gather around the pool table with the ping pong table on top with a table cloth on it and use it for dinner.
You could sit 16 people at it, still not enough room for just my immediate family. good memories