New fish keep dying

Shawn White

He everone I’ve been having a problem I have a 90 gallon been running for 1.5 years but recently every time i add new fish they die 2or three day later sometimes even next day (peppermint shrimp die by morning) I think im acclimating them correctly I float bag 30 min open bag put in a container with small heater check salt levels start drip one drip every 2 seconds or so and drip slowly untill salt levels are the same I understand maybe why the shrimp died the aquarium it came out of salt was at 1.030 but I dropped him for about 4 hours my salt is at 1.026 not sure what to do thank Shawn

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I would test for copper, is it possible you have a copper or brass fitting somewhere in your system including your rodi, ammonia would be my other guess but you've probably tested for that.
Do the fish show any signs of disease like velvet or fin rot?

Shawn White

Hi no copper anywhere I do have a fire shrimp that been in the tank for almost a year Amonia is at 0 I have 2 clowns and 3 other fish in there plus snails and a few hermits that have been in there for almost a year as well

billyboy61

Okay. So the shrimp didn't come from your goto store. Private sales usually mean proven livestock. You have no idea how long a fish or invert has been in a store tank. regardless of what the staff tells you. I have dumped hundreds chasing hopefuls. The best store London will ever have is gone and sadly no one else will ever step up.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Also can we get more detail on the bodies , is there any sign of anything on the body like wounds ? Flesh eating infection ? It’s probably safe to say it’s not corals , or grabs etc killing them , either it’s a bad source or something off with the system

Are they breathing heavy? staying in a corner? Did they eat at all? Are other fish attacking? Any signs of parasites/ diseases? Are existing fish doing well? More details would help us, help you diagnosis an issue. An ICP test of water would be a good idea too.

Shawn White

The shrimp looked healthy no marks I did molt while I was acclimating it the other fish that are in the tank are one fire shrimp two clowns and 2 royal grammas there is also a few snails when I put the peppermint shrimp in it just swam to a rock then disappeared next day it was dead on the bottom before that I put 3 cardinals in over a 3 day span all dead then watchman goby then a blenny and a aptasia eating filefish the file fish I took off the powerhead unfortunately

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
The shrimp looked healthy no marks I did molt while I was acclimating it the other fish that are in the tank are one fire shrimp two clowns and 2 royal grammas there is also a few snails when I put the peppermint shrimp in it just swam to a rock then disappeared next day it was dead on the bottom before that I put 3 cardinals in over a 3 day span all dead then watchman goby then a blenny and a aptasia eating filefish the file fish I took off the powerhead unfortunately
Anecdotally I could NOT keep inverts other than hermits and emeralds (no cleaner shrimp, no small peppermint shrimp) in my 60 gallon without them "disappearing", and I 100% suspect that my single Royal Gramma was the cause because after I removed it I had no issues with even smaller, more sensitive shrimp (sexy shrimp). It was a giant asshole, it would charge and gape at two full grown PJ cardinals, a firefish, sleeper goby and basically anything in the tank that wasn't a damsel, which are the real world class assholes.

If it were me and the rockwork made it possible, based on what I've seen them do I would try sticking the grammas in a time-out* (two breeder boxes, one fish each) and try re-adding a basic invert or fish. If it survives, you've got your killers. Since the gramma's were introduced first it's possible they've staked out their territory and god help anything that stumbles into it.

* Edit - If I was running a sump I'd toss them in there (separated). Supposedly you can "reset" their territorial instinct by keeping them in a new environment for a bit, let the other fish get established and draw new borders, then bring the grammas back. Granted I've only had one gramma, but it's the only "X" factor that I could single out.

Last edited: