New Frag And Grow Out Tank

hark

I hate the look of egg crate in my tank so I did something about it today. I had seen a video from BRS where they used a hydroponic flood table for frags so off to the local indoor 'vegtable' grow store I went. I actually went to a few because some places wanted more than 100 bucks for about 1 dollar of plastic, it pays to shop around (kijiji has some as well, Nothing I saw in kw region however).

I ended up getting two tables, a 4ft x 4ft table and a 3x3. I've setup the 3x3 underneath my fish room worktable to make use of the extra "floor" space ;-). I will set up the 4x4 on a cart later on once my wife moves the rest of her stuff to her craft room.

The tables are using pellets for filtration and 4 hydor 950's on a WaveMaker for random flow. I also picked up a new EB8 to plumb into my existing apex to control the lighting, temperature and ato. For lights I am using T5's, picked up a fixture from the dry goods section here for $100 bucks.

Once the bacteria is established I am looking to move my current frags as well as make new ones from an order I'm placing for colonies.

If anyone wants to borrow some frag space in the meantime until I fill up the 2000 frag holes your welcome to put your plugs in my tank for now..no charge for it.

IMG_20150919_192610.jpg
IMG_20150919_192624.jpg
IMG_20150919_201830.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Are these going to be standalone systems? Neat look :) keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hark

Yep standalone, I've got enough plumbed into my tank already don't need more water volume. I am going to also put my mangrove pods in these as well. About time i place another order of those soon I think.

This will also be a emergency tank in a pinch if anything dramatic was to happen to my main. This won't be my quarantine tank however, I've got a 40 gallon setup for that already.

hark

Place my order for frags yesterday from a few different places...most zoa's and palys of course :). I thought buying a tank was expensive, holy moly some of these frags are crazy costs...anyway they will be growing out nicely in a few weeks once the frag tank is established a little more. I put a few test pieces in to see how they like their new home so I can Guage things on 10 dollar zoa's vs the new ones

hark

Some of the corals I ordered (some colony, some frag)...actually maybe not colony size for zoa my definition is anything more than 30 on a rock is a colony, is that reasonable or is it bigger?

I got lots of fruit loops, bam bags, utter chaos, more rastas, lunar eclipse, some hammer frags, candy red apple, orange oxides, big red palys and a bunch of other wysiwyg.

Fruit loop zoa are my favorite, I'm surprised they are still reasonably priced in the current crazy zoa world..I also really like the blue hornets Kevin has :)