New Member - London

Easto

I came across this forum somehow, not too sure where.

I am currently piecing together a 75 gal tank.

So far I have Kessil 350W lights x 2
75 gal tank
BRS RO/DI system
BRS Dual reactor
Dry Pukani

Still looking for a nice stand, HOB skimmer, heater, and something for water movement. Possibly looking at a gyre generator

I hope to have everything up and running by the spring.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Well you found the right place. Welcome to thefragtank. Have you looked into running a sump? It is a great place to hide your equiptment, also HOB skimmers tend to overflow...and spill their nasty's onto your carpet.
i run HOB skimmer on both my tanks and really wish i had sumps...if its a option before you start i would definaly say go with a sump! wish i could

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
sSig_welcome41_zps67d8bce2.gif
to the Frag Tank. Looking forward to seeing your build thread. +1 to a sump. You will be much happier with the results in the long run.

Easto

I don't have a drilled tank that's why I was going to do a HOB skimmer.

I get a bit nervous about an overflow box losing it's siphon and ending up with a tank overflow all over my floor.

MrHermit85

Always good to see another londoner!!! Welcome!
Drilling is super easy but if you are lazy like me just get someone else to do the dirty work :cool: you won't regret the extra water volume, a place for a simple fuge and to hide all that bulky equipment... Another great aspect of a sump is surface skimming, there is nothing worse than gunk floating on the surface of a tank and a nice sized overflow sorts that out without any problems..

On the other hand though, if you don't mind the equipment in tank then there are plenty of tanks out there that are sump less...

Easto

Now I am looking into drilling my tank. Is it really as easy as they make it look on youtube?

Do you guys also drill a hole for your return line or do you hang your return line over the top?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I hang mine, but that is only because it was really the option in my peninsula tank to maximize the size of the overflow.

Drilling is really that easy, I personally suggest someone who knows how to be there, also, have to be sure it is not tempered.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Now I am looking into drilling my tank. Is it really as easy as they make it look on youtube?

Do you guys also drill a hole for your return line or do you hang your return line over the top?
I normally hang min, one less hole to drill and works just fine.
Drilled can look neater of course but is extra work.

MrHermit85

I also just hang mine, it's nice to be able to move it around and just pop it off to clean. Plus I have a little hole drilled into the top of my over the top plumbing so as to not allow too much water to drain into the sump when the pump goes out.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I don't have anything size wise, so which size should I purchase? What the most common/best size to use?
All depends on what size plumbing you are using and which bulkhead you choose. Once you decide you pipe sizes, there are 2 types of bulk heads sch40 and sch80. Sch80 is a heavier duty bulkhead and requires a larger hole. Start by deciding which size plumbing you want, probably 3/4" or 1" would be popular for your tank size

Easto

That's why I am asking here, because I am not sure which to go with.

I plan on using braided vinyl tubing and keeping it simple but upgradable.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I used 1" sch80 bulkheads. Can't remember the drill size off hand. I will check it out when I get home in a few hours. Pretty sure most places carry the sch80, or at least I haven't seen sch40 at local reno stores