New Old Reefer?

do_0b

Hey All,

Been reefing for quite a bit but stepped away from the hobby for a bit. Got the itch again so I'm going to start up a new tank as soon as I get back home (in LA for another week). Been on AP since 2005 but not much action lately, seems like everyone kinda moved on? Anyways looking to get Primo Reef Acrylics to do a custom shallow cube tank with a custom sump. I've picked up some used equipment down here in LA (currency sucks poo right now) but i got some good deals. Looking forward to sharing my build with you guys as soon as I get back. Have a good one.

Andy

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome to thefragtank:)

Ya, AP has kinda slowed way down... I'm sure you will hear some opinions as to why.

Looking forward to the build:)

Nighthawk26

Welcome to the board.

Primo will build you a great tank, but get ready to open your wallet wide. He will be the first to tell you he's likely the most expensive. :)

Pictures are like crack around here, so make sure you post your progress.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome to the board.

Primo will build you a great tank, but get ready to open your wallet wide. He will be the first to tell you he's likely the most expensive. :)

Pictures are like crack around here, so make sure you post your progress.

I have heard a few tanks lately where he was "lazy" and it's is now showing in the tanks build quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do_0b

I have heard a few tanks lately where he was "lazy" and it's is now showing in the tanks build quality.

Ugh....thats no good lol.

Between Primo and Miracles who would you guys say makes a better quality tank? I hear Aquatic Kingdom in Mississauga also makes custom tanks.

SamB

Super Active Member
I have a Primo 40 gallon AIO - I bought it about a year ago
He also made the stand
Beautifully made, great attention to detail and very "over-engineered"
This tank is built like a tank ! 10mm star fire glass on 3 sides and great acrylic work on overflow and back partitions of the tank.
I see that you are in Toronto and so am I. PM me if you'd like to pop by and take a look
Not sure when Primo got lazy but he was at the top of his game when he built mine !!
Highly recommended

Last edited:

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Ugh....thats no good lol.

Between Primo and Miracles who would you guys say makes a better quality tank? I hear Aquatic Kingdom in Mississauga also makes custom tanks.

I would still recommend over miracles if you are fussy with details. Have heard to many stories about miracles and people not getting what they actually wanted.

The one tank I have been told about was one where a brace was put on bottom of tank for extra support after tank was already built and siliconed. When the brace was added, it was I guess only siliconed on the one side and not both, letting sand get below it and lift it up. (Does it affect tank, I have no idea)

Asking around for people who have had tanks built will be best bet. Primo has built many tanks so there should be lots of reviews of his quality and now that it's been awhile some long term tanks.

Nighthawk26

I talked to Primo And Derek at Miracles a fair bit before making my decision. When I hear the odd person pop up about Miracles and or whatever problem, I take it with a grain of salt. You are talking after all about Miracles easily (and I'm sure I'm way off still) making 100:1 tanks to Primo Aquatics, so number of issues will of course be higher. I had great communication with Miracles, was happy with the price, and ultimately what I received. He build my display, my sump, and my frag tank. He can build you a great stand as well, as I've seen many. He built GTAReefs setup. I'm sure no one will complain about what he's got either.

do_0b

I talked to John at NAFB and he gave me a pretty good deal considering the places I called. Wasn't able to get a hold of Primo so oh well. I know John doesn't compare with Miracles but at the end of the day its still a rimless star fire cube so I decided to save a bit of money and go with John. My main thing is the tank won't break or leak lol. John said tank should be ready mid next week.
Called Jon (J_T) for a quote for a custom sump, all in all hopefully I can have the tank up and running in about 2 weeks time. :D

zoomster

Welcome to the Frag tank!
Lots of great members here, always willing to lend a hand and support.
Welcome back to the world of reefing and
Look forward to your build thread.

zoomster

Welcome to the Frag tank!
Lots of great members here, always willing to lend a hand and support.
Welcome back to the world of reefing and
Look forward to your build thread.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
welcome to tft you will like this community.... DID YOU SAY AP? fyi there is no ban hammer here so speak your mind lol just be nice to other members :)