new skimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jones02

I'm buying a new skimmer and been reading a lot and not sure what to get.. I been looking into the marinne source but there on back order. I seen a lot of good reviews on there pumps! Or maybe a reef octopus, can't really find many reveiws on the otp. 3000 pump? Any one use these before?   

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Well not sure what your price range is.  But I always liked the super reef octo xp cones with the bubbleblaster pumps.  Yes I own an xp2000.  Very happy with it.

J

jones02

I was also looking at that too cuz I like the 3 year waarannty. But was seeing how the other pumps were 1st.

spyd

Super Active Member
I would go with the Bubble Blaster pump if you go with a Reef Octopus. The 3 years warranty is awesome. I had an issue with my first one and Coralvue sent me a new pump within a few days, no questions asked. It has worked like a charm ever since. You do need to run a ATO with these units though. They need a very constant water level. I ran a JBJ ATO, and it did not perform the greatest. As soon as I moved to the Elos Osmocontroller, it worked awesome. The reason is the JBJ lets the water drop about 1" before it tells the pump to add more water. The Osmocontroller (or the Tunze would do the same) starts the pump with just a few mm of a change in water level.

J

jones02

I'm going to have about 140-150gs and not sut what one. I was thinking the 6" for 180 or spend the extra for the bigger one?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
What is your price range??
I have used deltec apf600 for three years now....bought it used too off bill at IA....
Amazing skimmer.....all parts are easily replaced.....still using original aquabee on it!!!
I clean aquabee pump about every 4 to 6 months.....soon might need a replacement...
Like all deltec equipment it is much more money but I would highly recommend this one in particular....it can go into any water levels or can be external....I would never recommend external mount....I use a mag 5 feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spyd

Super Active Member
I ran mine at 5" worked best for the SRO1000IN. I just built a little stand using a piece of eggcrate and some PVC pipe legs to get it to the optimal height.

J

jones02

well i picked up my skimmer today, wanted to have my sump relocated and everythign in but time i got all new plumbing i wont be able to till tomorrow. hope this skimmer last longer then the other one!! BM skimmed good but not for long, now i hope this suepr reef octopus can skim great and last!

J

jones02

2000. I went with that cuz I don't have a frag on this system yet I was just thining for in the future. And I have no idea if I'm going to anyways.

jroovers

Super Active Member
I have the SRO 2000INT, just moved over from a modded ASMG3.  Haven't been that happy with it - watch it closely - it has a habbit of looking like it is working for 2 or 3 days then wham! overflow central from a boiling over top.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had that happen twice in a year. Both from water level rising when system looses power and then turns back on.  I had to delay the skimmer start to avoid that. 

Had it go crazy for no reason just once.  Prob something on my hands:)

J

jones02

So I been using this skimmer for while and to tell u the truth I'm not very happy... It hasn't been making anny foam? Not sure what's going on but maybe someone can steir me in the right directing in trying something? Ill put a pic. All it does is raise and lower the waer lvl in the skimmer body when adgusting the knob but not foaming :s

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
adjust the knob so that the point where the small bubbles turn into big bubbles is just under the base of the cup.    Then leave it.  If you are not getting enogh bubbles check the venturi air tube for obstructions.  If you cover the air line up you shoudl feel suctoin andthe water leave with coem out the top of the skimmer.

After a couple days or if it needs to be adjusted then do so.

Thats what i did and it has been pulling out lots of stuff.

I'll say it befor esomelse does.... skimmers take a little whiel to break in. :)

if it still isnt performing check the impellor needle wheel.... might be broken or somethign got sucked into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.