New system build!

iantower

Well the time has come! We moved into our new home about a year and a half ago and along came the renovations, a wedding and our first child... and now... well now it's time for the tank build, and to get my tank out of my unfinished basement.
This is going to be a slow process unless I find some time hidden away somewhere that I can use haha.
So the plans are to pick up my new starphire 93gal rimless cube tomorrow, and then try to figure out what I'm going to do. The cube is going to go in the living room on a matching stand and floating hood with wires and plumbing hidden through the wall and into the basement. From here the overflow from my display will gravity feed into my second display (my old display tank) that will be built into the wall downstairs. The overflow from here will go into the preformed pond (fuge) and then overflow into my 120gal sump before going back into the upstairs display.
The system will include the 93gal cube with 250W metal halide and 2 24W T5 super actinic and led moonlights. (DIY build)
The second display will have led module lighting and hold my Marine Betta and live feeder fish.
The sump will have an ATO from a 55gal rainbarrel and large quantity of live rock, a deep sand bed, an algae turf scrubber and protein scrubber, as well as all the other little things.
1st pic - Reef display location
2nd  pic - future sump room, will be framed in with exhaust fan/dehumidifier.
3rd pic - old reef new Marine Betta display in wall tank (in the wall of the fish room).

I'll keep everyone involved in the sweat and tears as I go along with this!

Cheers!

iantower

First Question

So what do I do about this?

I want to make a great aquascaping on the new reef but... as you can see all my coral are encrusted or connected to my current live rock. What would you guys do about this? The options are to use the rock I have and work with it to make my aquascapping or use the dead rock I have to create my aquascape and try to frag the coral I can from my tank onto my new rock.
My current rock work is below.

Thanks guys!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
A lot of nice corals in there :) I Love a good looking grown in tank. You have done well with this one and the swap might be tricky. If it was me, I would try to maybe use a bit of new rock mixed in with some of your show peices of rocks, and then whatever frags/corals you want that arent on a rock that works in new setup try to frag it off or break rock.

Goodluck :)

iantower

Okay so where am I here...
I have everything plumbed up for now... The idea was to set up the new tank (done) and the new sump area (done) and then let that run for a week at temp and salinity, test the parameters and then plumb in the old tank to the new system and let it change out the old water and equalize (done).
I always stayed pretty minimal with my system since day one 5years ago... but I was keeping softies and LPS mostly with no more then one or two frags of sps. Well with this system I plan on doing sps dominate so after a $700 bill from BRS I upgraded a few things.
I found an old ASM protein skimmer shell in a fish box downstairs and decided to do a recirc mod on the body as you can see below, still waiting on the last couple uniseals from BRS (third order now in this rebuild) to finish her up. Drilled some holes for direct feed inlet from a tee'd off overflow and biopellet outlet and then an option to feed from a MJ if additional flow is needed.

So all I ever did before was vodka dose and drip kalk and use an undersized protein skimmer and that's all... they say don't change what works, and though it may have worked for what I had it wouldn't work for a minute with what I plan on keeping... so I bought a biopellet reactor, gfo/carbon dual reactor, and cal/alk/mag dosing kit to put on this system.
I'll have a deep sand bed and use my stock pile of rock that I wasn't using for filtration. I'll also have a algae turf scrubber in action as well.

The old tank won't always be plumbed up like that... once I get all the livestock out of that tank and put the things that I want to put in the new display and get rid of the other stuff then the old tank will be isolated from the system, emptied, cleaned and built into the wall of the fish room (which isn't framed in yet) and then reconnected to the system as a second display.

The worst thing that I have come across so far is the price of plumbing so many remote systems into one... but I like how it is going so far overall.
No pics of the new display yet as it is just a tank with water in it at this point.

Cheers.

iantower

New tank is up and running, old tank is removed from system and being cleaned.
The new rocks in the upper half are for sps mounting once I get the water parameters steady where I want them.

Cheers

davesolo29

Super Active Member
looks great. 
i understand about the price of plumbing.  I just spent about the same amount on plumbing as i did on my tank controller.  And im not even done yet.
Oh well,  it will be nice.