NEW TANK BUILD< new member

dwdude

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Looking at having advanced reef build me a 32 x 22 x 20 starphire 3 sides, herbie overflow, which I'm going to have hard plumed through my floor into my basement.

I need some advice on pumps, my sump build, calcium reactor?

i want to have a nice basement sump, and am considering building a large sump / refugium all in one. But saying that i like the idea of having a small separate refugium that overflows back into the return side of the sump. Also if i want this to be a stony coral tank, what else should i use as far as media reactors / media for the future. If I'm going to hard plumb it in, i want to consider the future for sure

just a young guy that has been out of the hobby for 4 years.

ive already got a rlss.ca custom 6" skimmer, want my sump to get my water volume up. but nothing too big $$$

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Keeping your sump in a single tank simplifies everything.  I always liked the standard 75gallon 48x18x18 inch tanks for sumps.
Can divide it into 3 sections.  Drain From tank.. Return To Tank.. and Refugium.  If you want a larger refugium then you will have to go with a separate tank. 

With a basement set up you will have to look a the pump curves to see if that pump will work with that amount of head to over come.  I personally run a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold with a Barracuda impellor in my basement set up.  Its a large pump so I end up with a fair bit of flo through the sump but also have a fair bit of flow upstairs just from that pump.  Decide if you want a faster flow or slow flow sump.  Can always slow down a fast flow.... can never speed up a pump at capacity.  And the larger pump gives you more options for future frag tanks plumbed off the pump. Lots of room for reactors and whatever else you need.

I would go with 1.5inch drains.  Look up the difference between Beananimal and Herbie drain styles and make your choice there.  The general consensus here is that Beans are better for peace of mind but there is nothing wrong with the herbie,  they are the same just the bean has an extra emergency overflow.

Boga

Welcome to the frag tank forum.

I have a 125 gal DT on the main floor with a 35 gal sump and 50 gal refugium in basement. Drain is 1.5", return is 1". I am running a Mag18 but I will change to a better pump. Mag18 does not provide have enough flow for my setup. In the basement I have another 20 gal glass tank, where I collect RO/DI water. When is full I add salt and mix it for few days prior water change.

I would suggest to place the sump on a stand at about waist height. It is better for the pump (less head), it is more convenient for you when you work.

For media I would suggest: GFO, carbon, and/or bio-pellets. I don't run bio-pellets, but I have a large compartment for chaeto, so this is how I export nitrates.

Jewel

Welcome to TFT, With a basement Sump/Refugeum you aren't limited to one tank. I had a Tank set-up in my living room but I spent more time in the basement with my 135 Sump and separate Refugeum that was 100 GL. You can easily Tee off your return line to the Fuge then have it run down into the sump. I also had a 55 GL Remote DSB. I never had any Algae in my display. You want a return pump that's quiet yet powerfull.

Too much flow is not a problem, You can always Tee the return to your sump to relieve flow or have it feed your Reactors. What I found was have the tanks at a level that's easy to work on like Boga said. Have a plan, draw up a sketch. Can't wait to see the pictures.

spyd

Super Active Member
Welcome! Sounds like a sweet setup you are going to have. I suggest going for a larger return pump as well so you can plumb all your reactors off the return line. A dual reactor for GFO and carbon is all ways handy. If you are looking at full blown SPS, I would suggest running a bio-pellet reactor as well. As for a calcium reactor... most people are going with dosing 2-part (Cal, Alk and Mag) or even balling method again.

I love the basement sump setups because you can do so much more with it. An auto-top off and resevoir is a must have and can be setup in your basement. I have a frag tank, water change tank and reactors all run off my return and in the basement. Here is a pic of my setup:
180GFishTank001_zpsd557a597.jpg

If you can add a water change tank, it is well worth it IMO and the best part is you never need a bucket again for water changes! Mine is just plumbed off the return line and drains into the sump. Just shut off the valves and I have a drain line at the bottom of the tank that goes to a hose that I put into my floor drain. Just open that valve and drain the entire tank out. Add fresh RO/DI, mix in the salt, add a heater and let it sit for a day. Then just open the 2 valves back up and water change is done. No buckets and 10 minutes of actual labour.  ;)

Jewel

You can do just about anything you want when you have the space. I agree that it's nice to have a water change station, mine is in a spare bedroom and I pump the water to the display, no buckets for me.