New tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copperkills

Ok so I think i will be upgrading my tank to a 90g 48*18*24 but I wanna go the drilled route but have zero experience.  What do I need to know when buying a tank that I want to drill?  Can I simply buy an "All glass" tank? Or do most of u buy from Miracles? 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
copperkills link said:
Ok so I think i will be upgrading my tank to a 90g 48*18*24 but I wanna go the drilled route but have zero experience.  What do I need to know when buying a tank that I want to drill?  Can I simply buy an \"All glass\" tank? Or do most of u buy from Miracles?

do yourself a favor and buy a pre drilled tank that's ready to go, it looks like Miracles is a good way to go if your thinking custom setup. but something like a marineland with overflows can do the trick just as good. Do you want to go internal or external overflow? if your planning to drill a tank yourself, any glass that isn't tempered is good as far as drilling, if its tempered you cant drill it.. you can tell by bringing a pair of polarized sunglasses and looking at the glass, if it looks like car winshields do outdoors than its tempered and no good. usually there will be a sticker saying its tempered and don't drill also.

C

copperkills

I have an internal overflow now which I want to get away from,  I prefer more real estate in the tank. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
copperkills link said:
I have an internal overflow now which I want to get away from,  I prefer more real estate in the tank.
nice, I have an external overflow and I love it, so your pretty much looking to get into a custom setup if u want to external, Miracles will give u a quote over email or if you want to go acrylic, Parker Plastics in London did my tank, and they did a very nice job, probably the exact tank your looking for too.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
ok you cant really drill a tank yourself your an external overflow..  if you look at my photos youll see the back pane of acrylic has a notch out of it that the water overflows out of into that back compartment, if your going glass that would be impossible to cut yourself.

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

C

copperkills

Acrylic scares me lol scratches too easy and Im not very gentle when I work in the tank. 

C

copperkills

That tank looks fanastic tho...what did that set u back if u dont mind me asking.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
copperkills link said:
That tank looks fanastic tho...what did that set u back if u dont mind me asking.
I didn't get it built myself, I bought it from a guy on here who had to get out of the hobby before he had a chance to get it running, Parker Plastics isn't an aquarium shop and probably doesn't make aquariums too often but they are pros with acrylic so if u design it they can do it perfectly. it was just under 1000$ for labor and material 2 years or so ago, that was just the tank, no bulkheads or plumbing, if you go with miracles I think you get all that stuff included in the price and are probably looking close to the same if u go all out, rimless, starphire glass, beveled edges etc but I don't know that for sure, a few people on here have used them before so maybe they can chime in.

There are a few nice used tanks on AP right now that would fit what your looking for. this guy is pretty well known online (M007) and selling this awesome tank.. its a bit bigger but his loss would be your gain, that is an amazing setup. and if your going to upgrade.. the savings with going used justifies that few extra gallons your getting ..  ;D

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=31852&title=120g-reef-ready-by-oceanic&cat=42

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
actually you can drill for external overflows yourself quite easily,but you will need a glass cutter as well,as shown to me by Nathan at miracles,drill the 2 half holes at the ends of the width of the overflow you want,then with the glass cutter,cut between the holes in a straight line and then you make the rest of the external with glass and silicone it on,i have made this twice for other people and is how miracles does it.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looks easy enough, but the risk taken when drilling your tank will become the owners and not the sellers.
If you are looking to save some cash, grab a Marineland tank from Bill and get Pulp to drill it for you ;)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
Are you going to be doing some renos? ;D ;D

I have thought about upgrading as well, check out the miracles price list.

You should go with a 90 front starphyre and have them drill it an design a custom external overflow. Probably around $400.

Prices on their tanks under 120g are pretty decent...

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/Miracles_Aquariums_Prices_2012.pdf

I doubt 400$ would get you anything but a standard tank from them.. I know Petercar paid around double that for a much smaller tank from Miracles.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
pulpfiction1 link said:
actually you can drill for external overflows yourself quite easily,but you will need a glass cutter as well,as shown to me by Nathan at miracles,drill the 2 half holes at the ends of the width of the overflow you want,then with the glass cutter,cut between the holes in a straight line and then you make the rest of the external with glass and silicone it on,i have made this twice for other people and is how miracles does it.

would love to see a photo of those tanks your did this too.. why aren't your own tanks drilled like this? seems a bit too risky for me..

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
i got mine from miracles 36x24x18 half inch glass ,polished edges .starphire glass front ,external coast to coast overflow with 3 holes for bean style and a acrylic black slide in with teeth that slides in beween back pane and overflow  and the back pane blacked out  $880 tax included

C

copperkills

Price list shows $425 for 90g with starfire front and sides, regular bracing and no overflow.  Im gunna request a quote tomorrow :)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Duke link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=3790.msg33459#msg33459 date=1355669195]

would love to see a photo of those tanks your did this too.. why aren't your own tanks drilled like this? seems a bit too risky for me..
[/quote]

why do you always need to throw doubt into any conversation,i showed how they do it,and anytime you need validation (although i don't give a f*** if you believe or not),ill let you come see the next one),as far as this tank? i had no need or the extra room behind the tank

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
pulpfiction1 link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3790.msg33462#msg33462 date=1355673235]
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=3790.msg33459#msg33459 date=1355669195]

[/quote]

why do you always need to throw doubt into any conversation,i showed how they do it,and anytime you need validation (although i don't give a f*** if you believe or not),ill let you come see the next one),as far as this tank? i had no need or the extra room behind the tank
[/quote]

actually it seems more like your always second guessing what I have to say.. Do you see anyone on here who has DIY'd a coast to coast external overflow? what about any external overflows at all? Nope not a one.. ZERO Its not something that you do yourself, but you still have to come along and say that's its quite easy and hey its no problems because you've done it twice. (which is a complete BS lie). Maybe you should have just mentioned that you stop by Miracles sometimes and a professional tank builder there told you how they do it and leave it at that..

Status
Not open for further replies.