New to Forum...Getting Back Into It

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenna09

Hi Everyone

My name is Jenna and I am new to the forum but not to marine/reef tanks.  I started my first tank around 11 years ago and went full force with it for some time eventually getting up to a beautiful 110 gallon reef aquarium.  My tank unfortunately crashed right before I moved (never figured out why and lost all but one of my fish including a clownfish that I had for over 8 years) and I decided after that to downsize considerably and went with a RSM 130D which has been going for just over two years. 

I am just getting back into the whole aquarium hobby after my friend Teri (CherryBlossom) showed me her new tank and pointed me towards this forum.  I had lost my passion for it and have been focusing more on my career and ball python hobby, but I think it is time to get back into it now.

I can't wait to make some additions in my tank, maybe some more corals and inverts, and get it back into shape.

I will post some pictures once it gets looking a little better.

Jenna

CherryBlossom

Welcome Jenna!! Glad to see you made it over this way... I'm excited now that we can share our saltwater tanks and experiences together! Along with our snake hobby haha

Can't wait to see your tank up and ready to rock!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Welcome! I've always been told by people getting back into the hobby that they are amazed by the advances in tech. Hopefully you'll find it easier to move forward :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Honestly the "OLD TANK SYNDROME" is luckily a thing of the past.  We can pretty much keep tanks going indefinitely now.  I had 3 major crashes in 15 years, but the last time I turned it around because of info from fellow hobbyists. 

Welcome to the forum, ask questions, we're usually a pretty helpful bunch :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Welcome back!
Did you ever belong to any forums or clubs before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J

Jenna09

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I belonged to a few forums years ago but don't even remember what they are now!

I have about 40lbs of live rock, that over the past 2 years has settled quite a bit so it doesn't look like that much anymore and about 2 inches of live sand.

For fish I have 1 tank raised clown, 1 yellow watchman goby and 1 neon blenny (I don't really know what it is to be honest, it is this itty bitty little fish that I get to see once a month if I am lucky).  I don't think I will be adding anymore fish because the tank is only 34 gallons.

I have about 8 snails and 10 hermits right now and will probably add another 5 snails and 15 hermits in the next couple of weeks.

For corals I have some assorted leathers, a nice size bright green plate, a couple mushrooms, a few zoas/polyps, a small patch of cabbage, little torch, small brain and small donut.  The brain and donut were actually totally dead rocks that I transferred over from my other tank over 2 years ago and when I did the clean out the other day I found them to have somehow come back to life.  I plan to add some more leathers (they are my favourite), zoas/polyps and mushrooms.

Jenna
PS. I love the advances that have happened in the past few years in this hobby!

J

Jenna09

Here is a picture of the tank, after about a year and a half of neglect and minimal maintenance  :?

IMG_2426_zpsc393c68d.jpg

I got 90% of the algae out, it looked like an algae farm in there!  I was growing algaes that looked like ivy, palm trees, giant leaves it was all so weird.

I hope to get it back up to tip top shape and look like my 110 gallon did minus the green algae
algaeissues.gif

The donut, favia brain, star polyps, green plate, torch, umbrella and one of the clownfish all came from that tank.

Jenna

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Here's my post over on RC.  Exactly what you have/will be going through, after neglecting a tank.  the peeps there talked me through a lot, and instead of arguing their advice (as I had in the past) I followed almost all of it, and the tank came back better than it had ever been in 15 years. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036229

Believe me when I say I just want fellow hobbyists to enjoy their hobby :)

J

Jenna09

Salty Cracker: Just read up on your thread and it definitely gives me hope that I can get my tank looking good!  I know a lot about reef aquariums but have so much more to learn.

Looking forward to getting back into this whole aquarium thing (even though my wallet isn't).

Jenna

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Jenna09 link=topic=4727.msg45104#msg45104 date=1363530487]
Salty Cracker: I am a Realtor to  ;)

I feel so unclean helping a fellow Realtor ;)
[/quote]

Another one, I think that makes four of us now

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4727.msg1#msg1 date=1363532416]
[quote author=Jenna09 link=topic=4727.msg45104#msg45104 date=1363530487]
Salty Cracker: I am a Realtor to  ;)

I feel so unclean helping a fellow Realtor ;)
[/quote]

Another one, I think that makes four of us now
[/quote]

It feels like spiders...all over my body...

Status
Not open for further replies.